Monday, May 4, 2009

a transition day?

The past couple of days haven’t been busy or stressful… but somehow I feel extremely overwhelmed. Okay, I was a bit stressed about traveling with my big (ish) dress, and about my heavy seven-months-filled bags, but everything worked out just fine. My friend Catherine picked me up from the airport in Winnipeg last night, and we came straight to the house, which, having been rented to undergraduate students (guys nonetheless), looks amazing. It’s clean and really… you wouldn’t know that people – three guys (did I mention that already?) – had been living in the place since last fall. Anyways, the house overwhelmed me (it still does a little bit), as does all of our stuff, and we don’t even have that much stuff! Maybe I can call this culture shock – coming from a smaller apartment in Constanta, where we’ve lived with a very basic set of amenities (one frying pan, two pots, one couch etc.) to a big house in Winnipeg with more space and more stuff than I know what to do with… at least for now. Plus, I can’t help but wonder what we’re going to do with the place and when we’re going to do it… it’s all a LOT. But whatever… it’s Eastern Europe to Canada and small apartment to big house culture shock. Besides the big house and all of the stuff, everything just seems so normal here, and maybe that’s because it is. Normal is good, but the spice of the almost-every-day piece of shocker news that one of us would come up with (Jim: “Some lady just peed in front of my building today! She just pulled down her stockings and peed! In broad daylight!” – the best example I can think of off the top of my head) was entertaining and hmmm… refreshing? Maybe not for Jim. Anyways… it’s great to be home.

And… in two months today…. we’re getting married! EEK! Most of the most important stuff is done – at least arranged, but there are still lots (probably more than I think – more than I know) of little things to do. I still need to find bridesmaids dresses (not a little thing), and have to figure out some of the details everyone is asking about: What are your colours? (I dunno!); What are you going to do with your hair? (I dunno!); What’s your veil going to look like? (Veil?) Hopefully I’ll answer most of these questions for myself in the next few weeks. After a couple of days here, I’ll make my way to Vancouver to see family and friends, and do wedding stuff.

I finished off my in-transition day with two absolutely fabulous things: yoga and sushi! YUM!! Ooh, I also did laundry today – socks in the dryer! and am planning a trip to the library (time allowing) tomorrow. So, besides tackling the Serious Must-Do To-Do list (change/renew car insurance, renew driver’s license, clean etc.), I am knocking some seriously good things off of my Ever-Present Always-There To-Do list: exercise, eat sushi and read… I love it!!!

No comments: