Saturday, May 16, 2009

Thetis!

The view from the new porch - gorgeous!!

Thetis Island is beautiful. After a week of running around and Miss BusyInTheCity-ness (dentist appointment, doctor appointment, get marriage license, find buy return buy send bridesmaids dresses, look for buy shoes jewelry for the wedding, make change ferry reservations, meet with liquor store rep order wine, look for call go to dry cleaning places/cart around dress – decide $400 is too much to dry clean a dress, hang out with family and friends, swim, run, walk dog, exchange money, buy make send thankyoucards and more), it was a very welcome two days of relative relaxation. My mom, dad and I took the ferry over on Thursday night, and after a deLISH pub dinner – I had a burger and a Strongbow and it was absolute perfection – jumped on the small ferry over to Thetis. I had a few meetings on Friday, but they were the only two things that I had planned… which was lovely. I met with Arlene from Overbury on Friday morning, and got some details sorted out - music, flowers, cake etc. The site is so incredibly beautiful, I really can’t wait for everyone to spend a few days together there. They’ve done loads of renovations and work on the property and I can’t think of a better place to get married… yay. There is a vibe on Thetis, as there is on many other small islands, of peace and quiet and tranquility, and one can’t help but just almost immediately relax and feel lighter somehow – or, I don’t know, less stressed. Not that I’ve been stressed because I haven’t at all – just busy. Anyways, it’s so great being on the island, and both Overbury and my parents place are just so amazing – I love it. So the three of us worked around the house all day – Pops split logs, Maman was busy busy in the garden, and I did some gardening and shoveling and clean up at the waterfront – until 4:00ish. Bob, our marriage commissioner, and his wife Joyce came by for a glass of wine and some business, which Bob and I got out of the way pronto. He’s brand new on the job, and our wedding will be his second, so it’s new for both of us! It will be great though – it was nice to meet them, and enjoy the late afternoon sun on the new porch, hurray. And now, back to business. I’m on my way back into Vancouver for my last day in the city before heading back to Winnipeg early tomorrow morning. I don’t have too much on my to-do list – after a few errands and a quick pack ‘o’ the bags, I’m hanging out with my sister and going for dinner and drinks with friends. It might be a challenge to not compile a new batch of lists – there are more wedding to-dos, and the list for the house in Winnipeg will be long. I’ve had a busy, but fantastic time here in Vancouver, and for now I’ll just enjoy the company of some of my most favourite people in one of my most favourite places!

An abandoned hummingbird nest - with two eggs... mrrrrr...

Mom and Dad and Maggie doggers on the porch

Pops and his tree splitting...



No comments: