Sunday, May 31, 2009

another great weekend!

What an awesome weekend! It flew by (as time does)… but it was great. Speaking of that whole time flying thing, I received a great Christmas letter (that I opened last week – it’s been here at our house in Winnipeg since December) that started something like this: “Yesterday Barb and I got married. Yesterday our son was born. Yesterday I coached my team to an NCAA tournament final, and just yesterday we were National Champs. It all just seems like yesterday…” It was a great letter, and a great way to emphasize how important it is to take advantage of time and of the present (because doesn't so much seem like "just yesterday?"). Anyways... last summer a good friend of mine started a beach volleyball company called Beach4Life, and their first event was this weekend – a doubles tourney, and it was SO MUCH FUN! Catherine helped me find someone to play with, and Patti and I had an awesome day - we went all the way to the finals! It was a loooooong tournament – we were there at 8:30, and didn’t leave until after we got clobbered in the final (no more gas in the tank – and our opponents were gooooood) almost 12 hours later at 8:00. It was a beautiful day – quite cold in the morning, but sunny with blue skies all day long… and I mean all day long. So ya! We came 2nd in our first tourney together and had SO much fun… I love it! Beach is so fun. Steve and I had made plans to go to Chris and Carla’s (friends that I visited in Greece) for dinner around 5:00, but clearly that wasn’t going to happen, at least not for me! Steve watched a few sets and I met up with him and our other friends after the whole thing was done; thankfully they’d saved me some food and I seriously enjoyed my dinner – burger and beer… perfect! Ooh, and Oreo ice cream for dessert. Yum.

Me and Patty

An almost action shot...

So, while I was out playing Steve was in working. We decided to address the ugly fireplace, and Steve was the one who did the job. Okay – I helped, but he did most of it. We were thinking of tiling over the brick, but decided to try the cheaper option first – PAINT… and it looks awesome. Check out the before and after:


Before... and After!!!



We’ve had a bit of a busy Sunday – our friend Tammy has been living with us for the past two weeks, and she moved into our apartment today, so I helped her move while Steve did handyman fix-ups. I helped the Tammers and then came home and vacuumed and swept and did some cleaning up around here… and made dough for pizza for dinner. Our night – or evening – lives have been totally revolving around sports – namely hockey and basketball. (I guess that’s all there is right now, no?) So we’re watching hockey tonight and hmmm… I guess there isn’t a hoops game on. I am SO happy that Orlando is in, and hope they can give the Lakers a run for their money. I’m definitely cheering for them – not a big fan of Kobe and his I’m-so-great team and their we’re-so-great attitude - bleh. Plus, I like Dwight Howard. But, for tonight, it’s hockey – hockey and pizza – and I can handle that!

No comments: