Wednesday, May 7, 2008

the wealth-o-meter

Being back in Canada is just the best thing ever. The climate in Russia (people and weather) was so gloomy that the colour, vibrancy and friendliness here is still kind of overwhelming in a completely wonderful way. Another thing that is not so much overwhelming but ... glaringly obvious, is the wealth and prosperity that we are so fortunate to experience, have and have around us. I was telling my parents that one of the most memorable things about our time in Russia was the polarity between rich and poor (there is no such thing as a middle-class), and how this was reflected in the size of Margaret's apartment. As a teacher and an engineer, Margaret and her husband are a couple that are both working jobs that, in Canada, would enable them to own a fairly modest home. (Okay, maybe not in Vancouver... but almost everywhere else.) Their place in Russia was very small and their salaries were too limited to improve living conditions in terms of dwelling size/space (their living room was also the office and their bedroom). Plus, there were no yards, no lawns, no garages, no large lots - only massive apartment blocks that probably housed over 100 families. So, my senses are still in candy-land here with the houses, gardens, green lawns, happy people (someone said hi to me yesterday and I wasn't ready for it - it was lovely), customer service (non-existent in Russia) and the produce! The food! Russia and Canada are on opposite ends of the wealth-o-meter, that's for sure.

So it's great to be back in Vancouver - I love it here... and I wish that houses/apartments/shoeboxes weren't so ridiculously expensive. It's great to see my parents and my friends! And just be back in such a beautiful place. Also, I just have to say that yesterday was one of the best days EVER. I met some friends down at Spanish West to play beach volleyball - it was sunny, warm, calm and it was SO good to see my friends... I have the best friends in the universe. Yay.

A few days ago after I changed my blog name I had to laugh at myself - on my way home I started thinking about what home really means... and thought about writing a blog about it... when suddenly, I LOVE LAMP lamped into my head. If you haven't seen Anchorman (quality) then you won't know what I'm talking about BUT my deep thoughts were quickly replaced Brick Tamland (played by Steve Carell), a man bestowed with an almost negative IQ. In the movie he totters around the office sputtering insensible incomprehensible gibberish like I LOVE LAMP and I LOVE DESK. Random. Anyways, so deep thoughts about home and I LOVE HOME were replaced by low IQ Anchorman thoughts (I love home is something he would say) and it just made me laugh.

No comments: