Tuesday, June 28, 2011

brossing les dents + the weekend!

Hendrik has finally made the switch from brushing with washcloth to brushing with toothbrush - or, er, I guess we've made the switch for him. And this is what he does:

Hands open and out in a what is this new thing that's happening to me sort of way; it's adorable.

I've been meaning to blog about our weekend since, well, the weekend - and before another week flies off the shelf I'll get this business down and done. Okay, so there's no business really, just recounting, so here goes: Saturday was grrrrreat, and not just because there was greasy food, woolly mammoths, excitement over the woolly mammoths (we parked, I saw them, and like an over-exuberant sugar-highed five year-old I screamed "I want to see the woolies!"), but because this momma stayed out on Saturday night at ... wait for it wait for it... a party. Gasp! It's true. I stayed out until almost 1:00 and had fun and didn't wake up feeling too tired or sluggish or anything - ! Eek. So, after searching for sushi in downtown Ottawa on Saturday afternoon and finding two of our establishments of choice closed (doh), we decided to dine at the Elgin Street Diner, a famous little spot that I'd never been to. It was busy and buzzing, and all three of us enjoyed ourselves. I ate breakfast number two and Steve gobbled a delicious club sandwich while Hendrik wowed and smiled and spread cuteness around our corner of the restaurant. People were goo-goo over him, and he was absolutely loving it in there... the people, the noises, the lights, paper, food... you name it, he loved it. We might have to go back again; great ambiance and happy family food times = good good goodness.


Hendrik was being such a flirt with the girl on the far left of the photo; is her boyfriend telling him to back off? Hmmm...

After everything else fell on the floor...

And then we went back to the woolies!! There was also a baby wooly, and we considered pulling Hendrik out of the carrier to ride the wooly (ha!) but there were other people there and he wasn't as excited as I was, so we moved on to the museum. Believe it or not, but our trip the The Museum of Nature was our first Ottawa museum trip, and we've been living here for over a year - !! Woops. It was great, and not just because of the woolies. There were five (or seven?) exhibits: birds, extreme mammals, dinosaurs, ocean life, a geology-planet one, and hmmm... maybe that's it? Make that five. Our favourite was the ocean life one, and it made me excited about bringing Hendrik out west to check out tidal pools and ocean things; too bad we don't have that teleportation machine yet, or I'd be writing this at Thetis.


The bird exhibit was also neat; did you know that there are more than 10,000 different bird species on our planet? Or that the world's smallest bird is just 5cm tall?

There were a ton of other moms in there (an interesting visual) - note to self as a good place to meet other mothers. We came home and rested our feet for a few hours before heading to a friend's place for a little BBQ action and too, for a surprise kiddy visit for Hendrik. I open the door to our friend's place and who is there but one of the women that we played vball against last Tuesday night; a bit of a surprise, but not really I suppose... the volleyball universe is a small one. Anyways, Celine and Dave and Jasmine were there, and Hendrik was a bit of a novelty for her; she liked giving him kisses... and hugs... and my heart almost melted right out of my body it was so cute.


Cute cute cute! The rest of the night was good - mellow and easy - and I came home and passed out in a millisecond and slept like a dead person for seven hours, and that is exactly what I feel like doing right now. My day today was almost too productive, but it's going to feel good crossing things off of the to-do list; is it too late to add go to bed at 9:30? Nope!

No comments: