Monday, April 11, 2011

yumdelish

I have to start this blog with this chocolate cake recipe, since I'm pretty sure that it was the best chocolate cake that I've ever eaten - super super moist, and the perfect consistency. I didn't ice it, and if i did, I'd have to scour and test to find the right icing - the cake was so good that my regular old butter icing would disappoint the cake. Plus, there's oatmeal in it! So you could eat it for breakfast, guilt free (right?).

1/2 cup oats + 1 cup boiling water - let sit for 10 minutes
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt

Cream butter with sugar, add eggs, vanilla; alternating, add remaining dry ingredients and oatmeal to the butter/sugar mixture - or just add it all at once and mix it up. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes in a greased round cake pan. Yumdelish.

If there's one thing that I can't resist buying for Hendrik, it's books. I think that I did an amazing job keeping the baby buying under control before he arrived (4 1/2 months ago!), and I'm pretty sure that I'm still, well, yup, under control. Last week I bought Good Night Canada! and Sandra Boynton's All the Hippos Go Berserk, a favourite from when I was a young 'un. I love it - ALL THE HIPPOS GO BERSERK! and seven hippos moving west | leave six hippos quite distressed (why?)... love love love. Hendrik likes the hippos, but his favourite book is still Watch Me Hop, and I'm not so sure that he really pays any attention at all to the story or the pictures - he just wants to grab and turn pages. And try to put the pages in his mouth. And slobber. And the same goes for his exersaucer (the slobber part) and the plastic toys, as you can see:






Winter is on it's way out - finally!!! We went for a walk around Lac Leamy yesterday, and the dude just slept - so much for taking him out to see the world. People were wearing shorts and sundresses and flip flops in eager anticipation of the summer - it's a bit too early for that stuff for me but I am looking forward to doing the switch-o of the winter and summer clothes. Sorels away! Down jacket - away! And on that note I should put this computer away. It's time to get out of the house and make it to mommy group on time, something I am rarely able to do. Hasta la proxima!


No comments: