Thursday, April 7, 2011

sugar!

Since the last post I've had a few similar days - late late shower and late late dinner... hmmm, goes with the territory of being a mom I suppose - especially when your significant other is out of town. Steve was in Winnipeg last weekend for a vb thing, so Hendrik and I had a weekend alone! Eeee... I was a bit hm, nervous I guess to be solo with the babe for three days, but it was totally fine! We went to Chapters and read books (and drooled on books - woops) and watched kiddies play with trains, and then braved the Saturday crowds at Ikea - I ate lunch and bought some small shelves and Hendrik slept. I fed him smack dab in the middle of the kid's section of Chapters sans problem, and then again in a quiet corner of the store on a footstool. 1001 video games to play before you die? Uh, yeah. No wonder traffic was minimal. We made it out to Jame's and Jordyn's for the first bbq of the season, and it was great to hang out with friends - yay.

Aaaand the week has totally flown by. I've been nothing short of completely addicted to The Help, and would have finished it in one shot (okay maybe two) if I could have conjured up a rainy, quiet Sunday (or two). I stayed up late late late last night and finished it - what a goooood book! I kind of wanted something different to happen at the end, but I don't want to say in case any of you are reading or are going to read the novel. Such great characters - such real characters - I want to know what the rest of their lives look like... but, that's not really the point. I often wonder, when I read or think about different times and attitudes that history holds, what would I have believed? How would I have acted? I like to think I'd have been like Skeeter, but it's hard to really know, outside a' the times. Anyways, it was an amazing book and I'd highly recommend it. Next, The Penderwicks. And I'm on hold for the next Alan Bradley book. And I could always get back to Mme Ramotswe... The list is never ending.

So! The sugar shack visit - yum, maple syrup. Yum yum yum yum yum. Team Canada organized a trip out to La Ferme du Terroir, where we feasted on a mid-morning smorgasbord of pancakes, french toast, sausages, bacon, potatoes, omelettes, beans, fruit, ham, tarts and of course, maple syrup. After a total chow down, we tromped over to watch the sap being boiled down into sugary wonderful syrup. And then, for the rest of the day I felt like a total blobbo; I always like the idea of big breakfasts with all of the above afor-eatened things, but then in the morning, all I really want is oatmeal or cereal, or something healthy. Maybe it's just that I'd rather gobble that kind of food in the afternoon or evening, not the morning. Unless there's a hangover involved, and then I'd feel like a hungover blobbo after the feast. Whatever. Anyways, here are some pics!

maple taffy


maple taffy in my hair :(





No comments: