Thursday, April 14, 2011

a big first!

Man oh man did I ever get a surprise yesterday! Nope - no biting yet, but the mister has his first tooth! To be honest, my first reaction was this: our little guy is growing up too faaaast! Is this something we'll think of as parents until... well, forever? Hm, maybe. Everyone we meet that has kids says how quickly it goes, and I sure do believe them. Just like good chocolate cake, you blink and it's gone.




Ummm, so if you have kids, you'll know that people loooove to comment, share information, pass judgement, and tell you what you're doing right or wrong or should be doing; luckily I haven't experienced much negative or unwanted advice, but I sure thought I was in for some the other day. I was in Shoppers with Hendrik (who was sleeping in the carrier), when an older gentleman approached me and said, "Are you aware of everything that you're doing to your baby?" He looked nice enough, but I thought for sure this guy was going to make a comment on how I'm ruining his hips or something (??). Ummmm I think so, I said. And then this: "The aura that is surrounding you and your baby is just really amazing, incredible. Having your baby like that is so good for the baby, so good for you. There is an energy - it's fantastic, really great." It was a bit strange, but then, after a moment of processing, I thought to myself that might be the best baby compliment I've ever received. He sure does attract a lot of attention, this guy.

Oh! And I almost forgot: he also ROLLED over for the first time yesterday! Okay, it was the first time he rolled over for me - he did it for dad two days before, from tummy to back. And to wrap things up, the best spiced cookie recipe ever. I made these for our weekend getaway trip to Mont Tremblant (yay!), because every road trip (no matter how short) needs snacks. Yum!

Ginger Cookies
4 c. a. p. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cloves
2 tsp. ginger
4 tsp. cinnamon
1 and 1/2 c. marg
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1/2 c. molasses
sugar to coat

Bake at 350 for 12 (ish) minutes! (I usually cut things in half - though the full recipe makes for a happy freezer :))

1 comment:

Maggie B said...

A tooth already! Hendrik is soooo cute! Can't wait for you guys to visit later this week!