Friday, January 28, 2011

two months!


We put Hendrik in some real little-man clothes the other day, and it was just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. Or, well, Hendrik wearing anything (or nothing) is the cutest, so I suppose it doesn't really matter; for me, the cuteness factor is always a 10/10. Add function into the mix and denim and a button up shirt don't really make the cut, so for now, while most of his big kid clothes are on the big side, sleepers it will be. And 6-month sleepers it will be - he is growing fast. On Sunday - at 8 weeks old - he weighed in at 14 pounds, fully clothed - eek! I'm pretty sure that's on the big side, but we'll get the full verdict (length, naked weight) when we visit the doc in a few weeks for the UGH first round of immunizations.



And other Hendrik headlines - he's two months old today! Even though I feel like we hear most parents say that in the blink of an eye two months is two years is 22 years, it seems as though Hendrik has been with us for much, much longer than two months. Perhaps because it's still early days? Whatever the reason, it's fabulous. Other happenings - I went to week two of mommy group yesterday at the Ottawa Parent Resource Centre; even though Hendrik is by far the youngest ("I can't believe you're out with him already" says one) I think it's good for him and it's definitely good for me. Going out with him is less for him than for me - I don't know any other moms with kiddies the same age that live closer than Vancouver (errr yup, :( too far away) so am hoping to make some connections and learn a few things along the way. Last week there was a public health nurse in that talked about sleep, and yesterday we sang songs and learned about infant massage; and at the end of a loosely structured class, babes play and moms chat. I got some tips on other playgroups, advice for round one of immunizations, and talked breastfeeding with a few women who were also challenged by the job. Things are definitely better in that department - everything is more comfortable and I'm more confident and relaxed, but he still takes a bottle after every feed... the hungry gaffer. What else what else.... he's smiling more and more, and making the cutest little noises - oohs and goos and little squeaks and squiggles, and I love it. Love love love. We're trying to get on a bit of a schedule (going fairly well) and he's extending his nighttime sleep (hurray), going anywhere between four and seven hours between feeds in the night. My favourite part about that is that I can get up, feed him and put him down while he's still half-awake, and he'll fall asleep on his own. Will this last? I hope so!



So I finally made it into the pool this week - once...!! Getting momma back on a workout schedule is easier said than done, though I take full blame for a short attention span when it comes to working out at home. The yoga video that I took out of the library a few days ago was mega boring and blah, and after 5 minutes of drudgery I signed up for a free Netflix trial and was browsing their ridiculously limited Canadian selection of titles, looking for a more upbeat exercise video. There's a whole whack of vids available for our south o' the border neighbors, but not so much for us Canucks... boo. I ended up watching 10 minutes of an Italian movie before rolling up my mat and hitting the couch with a book. Rolling up the mat? throwing in the towel? Same thing. Bland yoga video be gone - I'll take a mid-morning read and an afternoon walk over a boring workout any day!


Two months old!

1 comment:

Maggie B said...

What a cutie! He looks like a doll in the first pic!