Thursday, July 29, 2010

lists and lessons


And the big things are crossed off of the to-do list, months and months and months later. At practice the other day, I told the girls that they had a 70% greater chance of achieving their goals if they wrote them down; the number, I made up. BUT... I've heard that stat before and though there may not have been a number attached to it, the deal is this: if you write down your goals, you have a much better chance of reaching the finish line. And though I didn't make it a goal to get a new cell phone or a new pair of shoes, I have been writing these to-do things down for the past hmmmm... year? six months? There is no parameter on this write down and you will achieve soupcon of advice. So yes, I finally have an Ottawa cell number, and I have new runners! The ladies I ran with in Tokyo know that I was talking about getting new kicks since I started running with them, and finally, it's a fait accompli! They are nice and new and comfy and cute and I love them. The cell phone isn't bad either; I decided to go with Wind Mobile, and bought a new phone for $70 and didn't have to sign a contract or anything. I also don't have to pay for incoming calls, voicemail, caller ID or any of those other things that the gouger cell phone companies in Canada make you pay for. I'm still a bit sceptical - maybe there are hidden fees and charges for ? who knows what... we'll see.

And we have visitors coming this weekend! Marg and Bob and Erin and Fred are heading here later today for the weekend. Steve trains tomorrow and then has Sat and Sun off, and I have my last practice of the week tonight... SO! We'll have to make some plans and get out and do some fun stuff. Coaching has been good - a bit busy, but good. I came home feeling a bit bleh last night, after a mixed bag practice. The first half was great, and the second half was, well, not so good. The side that I was coaching was slacking, so I made them run; and then I made them run again because people were cutting corners and not touching lines... and still not touching lines. To me, again, this is all about attitude - I just don't get how individuals can slough off accountability, knowing that it will adversely affect their team. Is this a difficult to teach/difficult to learn life lesson? Or just one of the many wonderful challenges of team sport...

A lesson via Bill Neville, a great coach and fabulous mentor, written on the back of one of his coach's manuals:

Nevillizms, Inc.
LEARNING HOW TO ACHIEVE YOUR BEST IN VOLLEYBALL

Lakota Wisdom

An old Lakota-Sioux is teaching his grandson about life.
"A fight is going on inside me, " he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil. He is anger, envy, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, quitting, cheating and ego.

The other is good. He is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, commitment, and discipline.

The same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute, and then asked his grandfather,

"Which wolf will win?"

The old man replied simply,

"The one you feed."

No comments: