Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thursday again, already!?

And another week has flown by. Is this a summer thing, the speedy speedy time? Hmmm... maybe, maybe not. We're often so busy in June, July and August, being home and back in Canada, doing volleyball things and coaching things that before we know it, it's time to head back to a faraway land. But then again, it doesn't seem like NINE years ago that Steve and I started dating. Now that seems like a long time ago... nine years? Eeeeek.

Region Six at the RTTC last week

So, life has been good. I've been a little tired lately, but I can't say if it's from the 8 hour (plus) days in the gym or the pregnancy... maybe both? The team that I'm coaching (Region Six vball, bound for the Ontario Summer Games in a few weeks) spent four days at Humber College last week, immersed in gym and volleyland. It may have been a bit tiring for the coaches (I'm hoping it wasn't just me) and the girls, but it was a great learning experience for all. The team is now back in Ottawa and practicing Monday through Thursday, with two sessions almost every day. And it's so far so good - everyone seems to be enjoying themselves and getting better, so we're on the right track (I think). Even though it was a long time ago, I remember being where they are now - U15/U16 and training with a new group in a new place at a new level - and I remember loving it. There are two things that I remember most about that summer, training and playing at the 1992 BC Summer Games. The first is meeting my best friend, Lindsay - Lindsay Boyonnaise. Linds was named the team's alternate, and our coach decided that even though we were allowed just 12 players at the tournament, she'd bring her anyways. At accreditation, it was clear that we had too many; 13? No, 12 per team. On the spot, Nora gave her a new last name (Boyonnaise - !?) and announced that she was our team physiotherapist... and that was that, she was in. The other thing that stands out is what I learned from our assistant coach, John McGowan. Looking back, I don't think he was the most amazing technical coach, but the lessons that I learned from him about attitude were huge. And it's funny, now, being on the coaching side of things, and thinking about lessons like the ones I learned from him. There are lots of girls with talent on this team, but the right attitude is missing in many; the will to work, the look that says I want to get better I will get better... isn't always there. But, it's a great group of girls, and there's a lot of potential; like everything else, attitude is something that can always be worked on, and that's what the coaches are there for - to work and facilitate, and help athletes improve.

At last! Bump pics (or pic). We've been a bit busy, so I haven't been logging the growing bump as much as I would have liked. I'm 21 weeks and four days today, so there's still some time for bump logging and prego-blogging. However, I must be aware - time will be up before we know it!

At 21 weeks

No comments: