Friday, July 2, 2010

o canada...

Canada! What a birthday. I made my way up to Parliament Hill (along with the rest of Ottawa) to see and experience the festivities. I've been there before on July 1st, but never, of course, when the Queen has also been atop the mount, and it was crrrrazy! As the clock neared noon, more and more people packed the streets, and it was a bit of a challenge finding a spot that allowed for two ounces of personal space and an inch of a view; there were a few jumbo screens way up at the stage, but even with those, I'm not sure how people under six feet tall saw anything at all. Kids perched atop shoulders and people stood on benches and flower pots to get a better look at the Mounties and the marching band and the bagpipers that preceded the Queen's carriage. And then there she was, in her red outfit and white hat, being helped down from her seat in front of a tightly-packed, enthusiastic and reverent crowd. She made her way up the red carpet to the stage area and then the entertainment began. I was planning on staying around to hear her speak, but, by band #5, couldn't take it anymore. It was hot, my knees were sore AND the music was getting baaaaad.... in-yo-face french rap? Um, no thanks. It was a bit of a challenge getting out of there, but with time and patience, I managed. The rest of the day was good - I hung out with my aunt and then we had dinner at a neighbor's house - a neighbor of my Grandma and Grandpa's, that is; they've passed on, but Joyce still lives next door. However, the house that once was is no longer (the house that belonged to my grandparents). It's sad, especially because the monstrosity that has replaced their charming home is ugly, enormous and completely out of synch with the feel of the neighborhood. I will take pictures, and post the before and after. It's horrible.

Anyways, onwards. My bump is growing! I don't notice anything day to day really, but the clothes are starting to fit a little differently and maybe soon it will be obvious. Steve gets back on Sunday night (our anniversary!), and then on Monday we go together for the 20-week ultrasound... exciting! Fingers crossed that all is well. I still haven't felt any movement that I can clearly distinguish as baby-movement, but I know that it's coming soon. The self-portraits just aren't working right now, so I'll get Steve to take some pics when he's back... can't wait!

No comments: