Friday, March 7, 2008

My first trip to the pool...

So I made my first trip to the pool today, at the same complex where Steve's team trains and plays - and it went off without a hitch. I know that a trip to the pool sounds easy and straightforward - but remember, my verbal communication skills match those of a toddler and I am unaccustomed to the acceptable rudeness accompanied by most daily interactions with other people. Anyways, people were nice - I got the gist of everything by responding to Russian words with "dah, dah" and really, following their gestures, not their words. It is a bit of a complicated system - chez nous, a visit to the pool involves a one-stop shop: either exchange money in return for a key at the cashier, OR swipe your membership/pass card. Here, the process involved four stops before entering the pool area. First, I had to show a woman my doctor's letter clarifying that I didn't have any infectious or contagious diseases; she told me to go downstairs and put my coat and jacket in the coat check; I then proceeded to a ticket counter where I said "I would like to..." and motioned swimming. The woman there issued me a receipt and directed me to the cashier's office down the hall where I paid $4.00 for 45 minutes of swimming - this is how they manage their pool population. At this point, I wondered if someone was ripping me off because I was a foreigner - $4 seems expensive for 45 minutes of pool time, doesn't it? So I said the word for expensive, "darahgoy," and she nodded in agreement. (I learned the word yesterday after I was unable to communicate with a saleslady in a sportstore - I was NOT interested in paying $40 for Speedo swim goggles!!) So, finally I was ready to go swimming. I was issued a lock and key, and a kind lady showed me the change room, and explained how to make my way to the pool. There weren't too many people in there (pool population control - every 45 minutes a lifeguard sounds the get-out-of-the-pool horn) and I had a lane to myself for most of the time. I had a good workout (albeit short) - I hadn't gone swimming for a LONG time... my arms felt super weak and I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow. Doh.

Steve is away with the team for the weekend so I'm on my own - taking it easy tonight and taking advantage of the internet connection. I've just spent an hour on cbc's website - it's fantastic - and read several of Heather Mallick's articles, which I've really enjoyed. Anyways, time to get outside for a walk before it gets too dark...

No comments: