Thursday, March 6, 2008

грубый = grubih = (roughly) rude

A word that I would have like to have known and used today (and many, many other days) is rude. I cannot get over how RUDE people are here!! I came home from the supermarket this afternoon and made a beeline for the dictionary – the word was surprisingly NOT THERE. Another surprise? Our internet wasn’t working, and it didn’t work until I made a final, perfunctory effort just before heading to bed – so here I am. Anyways, I was standing in a short line at the supermarket this afternoon to pay, when a woman (blond, high heels, fancy jacket, mid 20s) totally budged in front of me in line. She came into physical contact with me to get in front of me! And I was at a total loss for words. A total loss for Russian words that is – I could think of LOTS of things to say to her in a few other languages. I know of a few budging techniques – like the one where you pretend to be standing beside someone that maybe you know (false) and fade/absorb into the line as it slowly inches forward – I saw that one at the post office a few days ago. This, was not at all subtle. She sort of tried to get past me on the left (I was thinking – is this woman really trying to cut in front of me?!) and so I take a small step to the left. She then squirmed around me, physically almost pushing me out of the way to get in front of me! I couldn’t believe it.... and I couldn’t say anything! So, I gave her a mega stare down (daggers), from the time she placed her groceries on the belt until she had bagged them and left – she totally ignored me. There are many reasons that I hate not being able to communicate here (with words that is), and this was one of them. The only thing that I could have said that may have remotely expressed how I felt would translate as “not beautiful.” I’m not sure how that would have been understood, but surely it would not have accurately conveyed my annoyance. I really wonder if she would have done that to a Russian woman – or someone who at least looks Russian (remember, I stick out like a sore thumb)... hmmm. SO! Now I know the word for rude. As for the rest of what I would have said in English.... next time I might just say it anyways!

No comments: