Sunday, March 2, 2008

Election Day

It’s Election Day today! It seems a bit strange that it’s on a Sunday... but at least most people are free I imagine. I’m not sure if there’s been a lot of campaigning, as our TV exposure is limited to Italian channels and Russia Today, where there has been news of the race, but no propaganda. I mentioned something about a municipal election last week – the reason being that there were lots of fliers and posters being handed out with a female political figure, and because there are no women in the presidential election in Russia, I assumed that it must be for something else. Anyways, my exposure to and knowledge of Russian politics was very minimal prior to coming here (and still is - it’s only slightly improved), but this is what I understand of it so far. Life in Russia has improved immensely under Putin, and I’m sure that he would remain in power if the rules were such that he could serve for more that two consecutive terms. However, seeing as how that isn’t the case, he’s endorsed Dmitry Medvedev, and is definitely staying around to help out... albeit, in a more behind the scenes role. Medvedev is the favourite, and there is some concern that people won’t show up at the polls because it’s been predicted that he’ll win with an overwhelming majority. Other players include Andrey Bogdanov, who reminds me of someone in the Addams family (is that mean?), Gennady Zyuganov and Vladimir Zhirinovsky. I don’t know much about Zyuganov, but Zhirinovsky... wow. We’ve seen several clips on the tube where he’s literally assaulted other political figures – on several different talk shows, and in Parliament!! This guy is as belligerent and pugnacious as you can get – I’m not sure if such aggressive and confrontational behaviour is what one wants in a president, or in a fellow foreign leader – I don’t quite think so. I can’t believe that legal action hasn’t been taken against this guy prior to last week’s decision of Mr. Addams family - he didn’t sue Zhirinovsky for assault (nor did his representative who actually was assaulted)... but for political extremism and hooliganism. Popular opinion is that nothing will come of it, as this is deemed normal behaviour... at least for Zhirinovsky. Amazing. The confrontation (during a political debate) was televised a few days ago, and this is some of what Zhirinovsy said:

“Don’t interrupt me! Don’t interrupt now! Don’t interrupt me! You don’t know how to moderate; I’ll moderate the debates myself. He’s a scoundrel. Look at his face! The guy’s sick! A typical schizoid! Any psychiatrist will tell you the guy’s a wacko,”

And,

“Get out of the studio! Get out of here, I say! Get the hell out of here! Scoundrel! You’ll see me in court? I’ll rip your head off! A professor, my foot! Idiot! [Addressing to his bodyguard] What are you looking at?! Grab him and kick him out of here! Get out of here!”

After the show he spoke to the press regarding his actions: “The man accused me of lying to the people and betraying the country. Me, a four times presidential hopeful! I've just explained to him that he had no right to say that. All this happened after the debates were over. They had no right to film that.”

Check it out...

No comments: