Friday, July 31, 2015

Q summer

These last two days have been quintessential summer: sunshine and warm weather and freezies and redfeathered faces beading with sweat and smiles; tanned kids flying high on long, chain-linked playground swings, bathing suits and splash pads, sun and long days - from morning to night full of outdoor activity and play. If I even start thinking about "too hot" the memories of winter freeze them out and away... I love the summer! We're back in London and it is so good to be home (we have a backyard - with grass and a trampoline and a mini pool and sports equipment galore!). I had a great time in BC, but missed the kids like crazy; I'd love to be involved in the program again, but might have to bring along a few mini- (and one maxi-) volleyballers. Speaking of mini-volleyballers, I set up a net in the back yard - salvaged from the university and carted home (on a bike), somehow stuffed between my backpack and hoodie (as if a sword) - and Hendrik is ready to play! He's also into tennis in the basement, with two mini-sticks nets beside each other as the net; and he smokes the ball - he has us dodging fastballs down there. Alana is busy following Hendrik's lead, and these long days spent outdoors have the kids ready for bed (or napping in the afternoon and not ready for bed) come evening, though there are nights when they are up way later than they should be (tonight). I have one more coaching gig (in Toronto) and then Steve and I are off to Greece for 10 days to celebrate a wedding and enjoy some time alone (yay!). This weekend we are staycationing: going camping in our backyard (I think), hitting the beach, and staying low-key (I hope). Long live summer!

No comments: