Sunday, November 2, 2014

halloween recap +

Halloween was so much fun! SO much fun - being in a neighbourhood with kids wandering, houses and people (kids, parents, and homeowners) dressed up, and especially: our two little creatures, all excited about candy and doing it all on their own. They were so cute, deciding where to go, walking the walk and talking the talk ("thank you and have a happy halloween!"), and debating whether or not to brave the houses that were donned up with gloom and gore (see above). It was the first year we've been able to really do the trick-or-treating thing, with both H and A aware of what they were doing and why (CANDY). We got home and the kids dumped out their goods and we let them have at it for a while - and then Steve unapologetically left to watch the men's volleyball team (at Western) go five sets against Waterloo. And the kids were on a su-gar high! Man, it sure did make me wonder how my parents handled kids who couldn't handle sugar TIMES FOUR! Yikes. No one was injured, and I just accepted that my little reptiles would be bonkers and go to bed late, and it was much better that way.
pumpkins, candy candy candy candy and loot bags from our neighbour liz - halloween is the best! (until Christmas)
We had a fair number of trick-or-treaters here too, and H and A were happy to take breaks from candy to dish out some more; thankfully we don't have too much left, but that's in large part due to our (me and Steve) efforts at reducing the pile. I'll likely put in some good work tonight and then hopefully be done with it - I'm like my parents, in thinking that the kids (and adults) can have a few days (maybe up to a week?) of candy free-for-all (more or less) and then it's back to normal... until Christmas.

loot bags! dino hockey and alana's zoo - proud creations
And it's November! And winter. There were flurries on Saturday afternoon, and it was -2 this morning when we woke up (sad face) and I'm going to have to get my big jacket out soon and stop dreaming of next summer and of Greece and really just change my attitude and embrace the season. Can I do it? I'll remain optimistic.

I sat on the bench on Saturday night for the first time (UWO Women's VB), and I tell you, that national anthem gets me every time; as an athlete, a coach, a spectator... hearing Oh Canada, especially when it's live, is the best. I'm loving being a part of this program, and sure wish I could be in the gym for every practice. If only ... I didn't have to sleep! I could just do homework and learn to sew and write letters (and blogs and make cards and read books) in the middle of the night. Tonight I'll really have to force myself to go to bed early; the kids had a super busy day (swimming at the Y this morning + play-gym rip-around, then hockey game for Steve and Hendrik (London Knights) and a tea party, colouring and jobs around the house for me and Alana) and with the time-change, they were asleep early... which likely means they'll be up early too. Who knows, maybe this means we'll actually be on time for school (for Hendrik)! A few photos to wrap-up, and then I'll hit the books. (Or should I eat candy and watch Seinfeld? Hmmm....)

happy guy! at school (wait, leaving school)
pumpkin heads :)
alana's masterpiece du jour

No comments: