Friday, March 14, 2014

Greece - we made it!

We made it! Here I sit, in our place in Patra, with warm sun coming in over our balcony and no winter coats in sight... it's the best! It's hard to believe that we're here, and that we spent the last six weeks in Gatineau and Bowmanville away from Steve - time flies. So, where to start? The beginning, I guess, which was two flights and three airports and three days ago...

We packed up the car on Tuesday afternoon and made a quick stop en route to the airport to pick up a keyboard for the iPad - with all the stuff I needed to pack in my carry-on (food, diapers, extra clothes), I wasn't interested in lugging my heavy, near-vintage laptop along; I ran in and ran out of Future Shop with this keyboard, which is so far so good. It'll take a bit of getting used to, but I'll get there. Back on the road, Hendrik lost his lunch, but thankfully he lost it all over himself - he got a quick change in the trunk of the car at the airport; it would be the first of several upchucks, but thankfully, they were all contained to his shirt or a barf bag, so it wasn't too bad - even for him (on the plane, he was sick, and immediately afterwards - and I mean the second he was done with it all - he was right back at whatever he was doing prior - colouring, watching a movie, or even "Mommy, I'm hungry now"... he seemed unfazed). Anyways! Check-in was fine, security was quick, and the kids were happy running around and then eating dinner at the gate... so far so good. Flight number one (from Toronto to Frankfurt) left at 7:05pm, and clocked in at just under eight hours; with the kids in their PJs, I was hoping they'd sleep and sleep and sleep. Alana moved non-stop for the first three hours, and Hendrik slept... and then woke himself up by barfing all over his dino jammies. Cue quick change and - ? I'm not sure what happened next, but I do know that there was no sleep for momsy ... think sad, tired face. We had two hours in Frankfurt, and everyone was happy to eat and walk around and watch massive planes come and go. The flight from Frankfurt to Athens seemed just as long as the transatlantic trip, but involved sleep for all and a happier ending: Steve! I grabbed the bags and manoeuvred the stroller and a cart (with Alana in the carrier - essential!) out into the waiting area; it was one happy reunion, the kids and their dad, me and my man. Does the trip end here? Oh no. Nope. Thankfully there was no more barf, but the two - or three? (felt like four) - hours on the road between Athens and Patra were long. Long Long Long! But we arrived and the kids were happy happy, and all was well.
"I love Greece!" says Hendrik. Dirt, grass, sunshine.... so do I :)
watching the guys in action
We've had a few good meals already; night one Steve ran out to pick up dinner from one of several restaurants that sponsor the team (souvlaki, greek salad, fries, tzatziki), and last night we ate a different, home-style restaurant... the food was amazing! In the afternoon we went with Steve to check out the gym, and the kids were in heaven playing in the dirt at the park across the street... even offers of ice cream couldn't lure Hendrik away. After an hour of swings, slides and dirt-play, we bought some snacks and took a walk - I was hoping we could make it to our old apartment, but it was just a little too far. The gym is on the side of town that we're familiar with - the side where we lived when Steve played for EAP five (six?) years ago. Now we live on the other side of town - and all that means is that we don't really know our way around. Or I don't at least... but with some friends and friendly people and the food and sunshine and warm weather, I'm already feeling more at home than I otherwise would, after two days in a new place.
city walk
last night's dinner... yums!
So now, on the agenda, is to get settled in and adjust to the time change. Night one saw the kids sleep almost 14 hours (really), and I was right in there, clocking 13 much needed hours of shut-eye. Because of the late start to the day yesterday, we couldn't coax them to bed until after 2:00am, but got them up a bit earlier today, and hopefully this means a better sleep tonight... we'll see! I'm hoping to get down to the water some time soon, and there's a flea market along our street tomorrow, so stay tuned for some pics from that (plus apartment tour). Then, exploring and culture and food... and sunshine - life is good!
reading | just back from ice cream! | grocery shopping duo :)

No comments: