Saturday, October 1, 2011

Riva del Garda

After two successful league games (more info here) Team Trentino had a day off! And so the Brinkman family headed for Riva del Garda, a small-ish town at the north end of Lake Garda. We took the scenic route there, a different scenic route back, and have a list of at least three towns with perched castles to return to (Drena, Arco and maybe Balbido?). We're still amazed by the beauty of this place, with small mountain towns, villages, and lakes abounding.


View Trento to Riva Del Garda in a larger map









Aaaaaand it was about two or three or four hairpin curves after this amazing mountain view that Hendrik lost his lunch - p-uke. He had been a bit fussy, and we weren't sure if he was tired or hungry or thirsty, but then he settled down a bit and wore a blank look for a few minutes and then up it came; thankfully, we were at the bottom of the hill and just entering a town. Within minutes I'd pulled in to a parking spot and had him out of his seat and out of his clothes. Poor little muffin! And ouf, am I ever glad that I had an extra change of clothes in my bag, otherwise, it would have been naked time in wet car seat for Hendrik... yuck. And that reminds me - in the most concrete and sure way there is - to always always always have an extra change of clothes. Always. Anyways, it's not like it got all over the car or all over either of us, and he wasn't fussy after - it was a puke and let's get on with it kind of thing, SO all in all, it wasn't that bad for any of us (perhaps I speak for myself here). We took a driving break and hit the grocery store for some for-dinner goods, and then were back on the road with a sleeping babe thirty minutes later. Bath time when we got home was fun and splashy (and necessary), and even more fun was washing out the smelly clothes and the smelly car seat. This is life as a parent, no? The barfs will get a whole lot more barfy I'm sure. This reminds me of the famous three-seater chuck by Karin was it? Or no, I think it was Sarah (when we were little) WHO had been eating cheesies in the back back seat of the Suburban. There was snow outside and we were on the Coquihalla and Dad had to pull over in the cold and ewww yuck there was puke everywhere ("waaaaa eww gross it's in my hair!" etc etc). Anyways, yes, we'll have to deal with puke (and more) again.

Onwards! Steve left this afternoon for another away game, and then they're home for four days before the team leaves for the Club World Championships in Doha, Qatar next Thursday. Ouf.... they'll be gone for 10 days, and Hendrik and I will likely go down to visit Steve's second cousin (or first cousin once removed or yadda yadda) next Monday; she lives in Vicenza with her husband, who works on the military base there. So! That should be fun. And hmmm... I ripped through The Book of Negroes, wondering the entire time (or, er, the entire second half) if Aminata would ever be reunited with May. Next up is.. hm, I'm don't even remember what other books I brought with BUT I do have my Kindle, so can hit up Amazon for whatever I please. Unfortunately I can't borrow books with my e-reader - boo. What I can do, is go outside and sit in the summer sun since it's October and at least 25 degrees. Take that Gatineau!

No comments: