Wednesday, September 28, 2011

does it get more local than the driveway?

So it was last Saturday already that I witnessed my first real DIY make your own wine, and I highly doubt that it gets any more local or fresh than this. The grapes came from Luciano's family's up-on-the-hill property (I think), and were separated from the stems by this sturdy red machine in their very own driveway (which is also our very own driveway, for a short and wonderful while). The grapes, seeds, skins and all, were pumped into big plastic vats in the - ahem - cellar (!!) where they will ferment and turn into winey red goodness. Sure, there's more to the process than this, but after a glass of last year's vino I don't really care to remember; sure it's a bit strong and yeah, I don't suppose it will win any awards, but it is prrrretty good! And, like I said, as natural, local and organic as it gets. By the time that Steve got home from practice, Luciano and his gaggle of wine helpers were sitting around talking sports and drinking wine in the cellar, and when he popped his head down there to see what was a'going on, he was persuaded to join them and then too, persuaded to leave with a litre of last year's home brew. So that's the wine we had with supper tonight, and that's the wine that is sending me off to bed. I am sooo so so behind in blogs - a house tour is coming soon, and so are pics of our day trip to Riva del Garda. It was beautiful, and it is beautiful here. Really, amazing. Am I repeating myself (it is gorrrrrgeous here! gorgeous!) or um, er, ahem.... is that the wine?

Luciano and Paulo feeding the beast

stems, and lots of 'em

tube from machine to big plastic vat in basement...

And the wine, in its process, goes from here...

... to here...

to here! YUM!

No comments: