Thursday, October 6, 2011

blog by numbers

I have five bazillion ideas roaming around upstairs, and not so many zzzzzs under my sleep-belt, so this blog is going to be in bullets... voila.

1. Last night I made the easiest dinner ever, and I'm going to share - because don't we all (always) need fast meal ideas? And new ones? Sometimes my go-to dishes seem to disappear, which leaves me wondering... what do we eat? Okay, aaaanyways, I made this while Hendrik was in his high chair eating supper after I'd done the dishes and cleaned up - literally, from start to finish, this meal took about 7 minutes. SO - beef stir fry: chop up some beef, cook in olive oil and soy sauce, dump a bag of frozen veggies on there and when done (5 minutes) set atop a bed (!) of cooked rice noodles. Oh, and top with cashews or peanuts... yummy, healthy, easy, fast, etc.... a meal of choice for me.


2.A few days ago we moved upstairs, and we're already back on the main floor. Why? We didn't have good sleeps (new noises, it was hot, there were a few mosquitos, I thought mice were going to crawl in the window - irrational), we have to walk around all stoopy up there, Steve hit his head, ummm and hm. Maybe there were other reasons - oh, that Steve left for Qatar today and it's really just easier to have Hendrik with me on the main floor where - hopefully - good sleeps still remain.

3. An older couple that live just down the street - Fabio and Guiliana maybe? - gave us a huge bag of fresh fresh fresh greens, and the smells have been wafting around the kitchen all day and it makes me want to eat salad and make a roast, and I never want to make a roast. I mean, I don't reallllly want to roast a big chunk of meat, but the herbs smell soooooo good that I have to do something with them. Hm, maybe tomorrow.

4. Not far from our place and up atop a big hill is Doss Trento, a park dedicated (or so it seems) to Italy's Alpine Troops and to Cesare Battisti, an Italian hero who fought for equal rights for Italian minorities when the area was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. There is molto information on the Wiki site of Doss Trento - lots of food for thought, if you're interested. It's quite the climb, and has become a regular workout/walk - from our place it's oooh I'd say a good two hour trip if you visit the Museum of Alpine Troops and wander the grounds, and if it's just the walk you're interested in, it's more of a 60 minute deal.


"Per gli Alpini non esiste l'impossible" - capisci?

at the bottom...

climb climb up up up

even a tunnel!


beautiful views of the valley north







5. Last week Hendrik and I joined a few other wives and their little gaffers - and we all made for Caldonazzo, and spent the morning on the beach, in front of this lovely mountain lake:

October! I'll take it. All three of the boys (both are older than Hendrik) ended up in the water, and spent some time sunbathing in their birthday suits before the moms doused them with clothing. Hendrik shared his Cheerios and watched with wonder as the two older boys (14 months and just over 2 years) threw pebbles and played with rocks down at the water. He was a happy little guy, and even kept his hat on for me - amazing.

6. Hendrik updates: He is loving getting into the kitchen cupboards, and LOVED the fort I made him on the balcony yesterday. (I have to say that I loved it too - forts are the best!) Over the past few days he's been signing for milk on a regular basis which is soooo amazing and so wonderful to see him communicating BUT... he signed for milk alllll day today which was a little less amazing for me, but whatever. He is pointing at things ALL THE TIME, is saying broom ("boom"), clock, and mama and dada, and loves going out to see the birds and the chickens; he still makes his adorable scrunchy face when he sees or hears dogs barking, and he loves loves loves his books. Current favourites are Where's Spot and hm, Moo Ba La La La and The Hippos Go Berserk and the Hungry Caterpillar and oh eesh there are quite a few. I'm sure there are other noteworthy updates but I can't think of any more at present.



7. Steve is in Qatar at the Club World Championships for nine days - site here. Hendrik and I won't be all alone for the entire time, though I'm not sure what we'll do on Thanksgiving - leftovers for two? Perhaps. We'll head down to Vicenza to visit Gretchen on Monday, and I'm super excited... we'll have fun there for sure, yay. Aaaaand that's all folks! It's bed time for this maman.... :)

No comments: