Sunday, May 8, 2011

sunday updates - and happy mother's day!!!!

Happy Mother's Day! It's just the beginning here for me, but looking down the long and wonderful road ahead, I see more now, with our bean sprout on my hip: the rewards and challenges, the hills and valleys, the plateaus and wonderful views, the tough uphill slogs and the wheeee! downhill slopes. It's almost like looking at a map - there are loads of roads and possibilities, and now that I'm (just starting out) on the journey myself, I appreciate those who have gone before me that much more. So yay moms - I raise my glass (of water) to you!

OOph! So the little man rolled over! I was out doing errands and missed it - but then again, so did his father. Steve put him down for a nap and after a bit of fuss fuss fuss (normal), he calmed down into a quiet slumber (semi-normal). When Steve went in to check on him, this:


He'd rolled right over and turned himself around and fallen asleep (!!). He's rolling around more and more, though still doesn't really know what to do when he he gets where he's going (/rolling). I don't think he'll be completely happy about what his little bod can do until it's up and running; when he's upright and on his feet, the little legs start firing and the smiles aren't far behind. Anyways! Those are the Hendrik updates - he's rolling, cooing, gooing and ? We're thinking that he's ready to start solids any day now, and we have rice cereal and sweet potato ready to go. There is sooooo much conflicting information out there - start with this! NEVER start with that! don't give this until 7 months! Ugh. I went to strollercize on Friday and half-walked half-ran (yay) with a woman who was adamant that carrots were a major no-no before 8 months... huh? Ugh. Anyways, instincts with a bit of guidance sounds like the right mix to me. If it's not going to work, Hendrik will let us know. That being said, of course I'm aware that there are some no-nos and yes, we'll stay away from those. What, you mean I can't just feed him a slider? Or a drumstick? 'Nuff said.

We went out to Mooney's Bay yesterday - Ottawa's beachy oasis - for the first day of b-e-a-c-h volleyball, woohoo! "This is way nicer than Kits" says Steve as we arrive. Yeah, totally. We met up with some girls from the women's league team that I subbed for, and four of us played a few sets in the sun and wind before I called it a day - Hendrik and babysitter dad were getting bored and hungry, the both of them. It was a good start to a good day: sun and beach action, then home for lunch, a nap and off we went once again, to James and Jordynn's for dinner and backyard fun. And that brings us to today - a Sunday that feels like a Monday. Steve has puh-ractice today - tryouts! No, the most senior of the seniors (that makes him sound downright old) is helping out with the young-guns; maybe it's B team tryouts this week? I forget. Anyways, he's in the gym all day and Hendrik and I too, will be in the gym. There are only two more practices before the U17 team that I'm helping out with heads west to nationals, and Hendrik gets to tag along this afternoon. Do I bring the carrier? Or hand him off to the parents... I'm not sure yet. So, I should get some stuff done around here before my eyes fall out of my head and swim right into the computer screen. Happy Mother's Day to all of you moms... you are wonderful!!!!!!!!


No comments: