Thursday, December 23, 2010

what's in a name?

I realize that I still haven't said much about Hendrik's name - the where and the why (and the how and when), so errrr I suppose it's about time. Coming up with a name was tough. We had a short list that oscillated between 5 and 8 names, with a few dropping or popping up every other week or so. In the end we had three solid contenders for his first name: Hendrik, Nolan and Lucas. Other names that were on the list at one point were Finlay, Matthew, Jeremy... and I'm sure there were more but I can't recall. It's funny how we were super into a name one week and then super blah about it the next; Cohen is a good example of that... we like it we like it and then no way, get it off the list. For a few weeks in the summer we were reading name books in bed every night, racking our brains for possibilities, and then the urgency faded and resurfaced again once we hit October. And so, Hendrik? I think Steve came across it in a name book, and it stuck a bit more; we were friends with a Hendrik in Tokyo this past year, and both of us liked the name, but never really gave it much consideration until, like I said, Steve came across it in a name-your-baby book. It's a Dutch name - the Dutch form of Henry - and as it turns out, there are 22 Hendriks in Steve's family tree - !!! And so he was inadvertently named after his great-great-great-great grandfather Brinkman (I think it's four greats) and his great-grandfather Osberg. My dad's dad went by Larry but is really a Lawrence, and I was lucky enough to spend quite a bit of time with him in Ottawa in the summers when I was coming and going from trips to Toronto and Bowmanville. I loved hanging out with him and I loved their house on Bedford - the house where my Poppa grew up - and love that our little one has a connection to him and my Dad that will last forever.

My dad (Peter) and his family at 41 Bedford: Dad, Uncle Lars, Aunt Zella, Grandpa Larry and Grandma Edith

Lawrence Osberg
So this is a bit tough to see, but great (x4) Grandpa Hendrik is on the far right in the back row

I've also been meaning to post pictures of Steve and I when we were babes - there is definitely a resemblance to little Hendrik...

Steve at 2 months-ish
Hendrik at 3 days

Me at 2 days!

No comments: