Saturday, December 11, 2010

a quick update


Slowly slowly slowly I'm working on (or mostly thinking about) writing about the birth experience, but have been a bit swamped with the demands of real-life having a baby. Things have been emotional and amazing and frustrating and overwhelming, and it has been incredible having such supportive people around us. The first three days home were a breeze, and then reality set in with a few challenges in the breastfeeding, pooping, weight (not gaining) and screaming-all-the-time departments. Thankfully, one of the most incredible nurses on the planet lives in Gatineau, and she came to visit us not once but twice, and has been soooo helpful on the phone too - going over and above her call of duty I'm sure. So! It's not easy having a baby. But, things have been much better over the last two or three days; we're supplementing with formula to help him pack on the pounds, and Sylvie (number one nurse) is helping me get breastfeeding back on track, reminding me that I need to take care of myself, rest and heal. It was the best having my mom here, and hard to see her leave on Tuesday..... thank goodness for Skype. Steve's parents arrived yesterday - again, more fabulous support. So, some pics, and a more in-depth update soon!








1 comment:

Tall Tree Photography said...

Hi Heather,
Just catching up and so happy to read about the wee one! Your post reminded me of the early days with my now 7 YEAR OLD (sniff, tear...) and I just wanted to say that it is really hard when you are used to doing so much to just sit and do "nothing" but you aren't doing nothing... This is the only time you will get to experience what it is like to have all the firsts with a new baby. So don't worry about blogging or hosting or cooking or anything. Just relax and nurse your babe and sleep. It will go by in a blink. Protect that little threesome you have going, it's bliss:-)
Much love to you and Steve and baby H.