Tuesday, September 14, 2010

perfect vehicle, where are you?

How did we not realize that a Japanese (or Asian) vehicle would not could not will not ever be big enough for us? Today was day one of car browsing, and after reading about Hondas and Hyundais we decided to walk down the street to the megablock of dealerships less than half a kilometre away from our abode. CRVs have been catching my eye left right and centre, BUT... it turns out that I won't really like sitting in them because Steve won't really like sitting in them; toooooo small. We test drove the Honda Pilot and thought it was okay; more truck-y than our dead and buried Expedition, and not quite as easy to handle, surprisingly enough. It was passable - no axe on that one - but not a huge hit. Over to Hyundai (we've been checking out cars in Phil Edmonston's Lemon-Aid books, and these two automakers have been given top marks) we went to check out the Veracruz and the Santa Fe, and again - fail. Perfect for small(er) folk, but not so much for nous. I had to head home and crash (a full morning of futon-searching and swimming caught up with me faaast), but Steve continued on to Nissan, Mitsubishi and.... hm, maybe that's it. Maybe Mazda? Anyways, he got home and said something like "And so the conclusion is this; Japanese cars aren't very big." How is this a revelation? We just spent eight months there in the land of small, compact mini-ness.... were the cars supposed to be any different? I think it's time to move away from Asia in our search for the next voiture.

Dinner is in the oven (Cool Curry Chicken), and a list awaits: I have 20 tabs open in my browser and an empty suitcase that needs filling. Okay, so there are 7 other tabs open, and they are:
- Apartment Therapy | SUPER cool website I want to spend hours on ... Design, Technology, Children, Green Cooking; "saving the world, one room at a time"
- re-nest (also apartment therapy) | 49 creative reuse ideas that will inspire and surprise you
- the crafty crow: a children's craft collective | the giant marble art painting/art project = hoping to have time, energy and space to try this...
- ehow | how to do marble paintings
- chez beeper bee | haven't had time to check this out yet, but the pics are neeeeat. no idea how I got here.
- NHTSA Defects and Recalls: How to file a complaint | :(
- Apartment Therapy (again): Stylish ideas for displaying family photos
- Apartment Therapy (aaagain): 5 unconventional ways to display family photos

Our walls are still bare, and I've found some inspiration in some of the Apt Therapy posts; now the question is this: WHEN exactly, will I get around to it? Hopefully, um, soon. Some time in between Denver and Vancouver and baby. I fly to Denver tomorrow on the milk run (Ottawa-Toronto-Winnipeg-Denver - that's what Aeroplan gave me in exchange for minimum 25,000 points... ugh) to visit two of my sisters for six days, and, besides the travel, I'm super excited! It's been over a year since I've seen Karin, and neither of them have seen THE BUMP... and I've never seen where they live or work etc., so it will be good. PLUS I'm planning to get together with one of my best friends from uni, Jessica Waltz. She's now a Bird, and has three baby birds; much has changed since we last saw each other 10 years ago (or something like that - eeeeek) and I can't wait to catch up in person. So I must pack! As per usual, I've been slacking in the photo department... stay tuned for some shots from Denver!

No comments: