Wednesday, September 22, 2010

family and friends in Denver... awesome!

Bieber fever? Don't have it... but this guy sure does. A friend of mine sent me this link this morning and I have to share - so so soooo funny.



So, Denver! I had an AMAZING time there! It was soooo great to see my sissies and hang out - it makes me a little blue that we don't live closer to each other. Thankfully I didn't get harassed at the border, and the trip there was a breeze. Karin picked me up from the airport Wednesday night, and we headed back to her sweet cute cute little house before picking up Claire and heading out for dinner. It was good times: a rooftop patio, cold drinks, a view of the city and patio lanterns strung around the warm air of a still-summer September night. We caught up, laughed etc., and got the trip off to a stellar start. Thursday everyone had to work (boo) but Karin snuck away early, and we met Claire at the hospital for lunch. It was awesome to see her in her scrubs as a working real-world NURSE... so that was fun. What else... We shopped and wandered and were treated to a SUPER yummy meal by Karin's husband Rob who cooked for the three Osberg girls - pre-game meal before beach vball time at a somewhat sketchy bar. I cheered and drank water, and the athletes pounded it out and drank Coors Light making it a win-win situation for all. I preg-designated-drove everyone home, and that was that, another day done and gone.



Friday and Saturday took us up to Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park AND the hotel that inspired Stephen King's The Shining... for real. We stayed at the historic Stanley Hotel where the movie plays on a non-stop loop on channel 42. It wasn't filmed there, and it wasn't dark when we arrived; for these two reasons we vegged and watched the movie after we checked in. It had been a looooong while since I'd subjected myself to this flick, but it was still creepy and a little scary and ... yup, not a movie I'd choose to watch at night, in one of America's most haunted hotels. The town of Estes Park is very small town mountain-y, with art galleries, cute little shops and more than a few tacky junk shops (two year-round Christmas stores in one town? that tells ye something). Friday we had drinks and appies on the grand front porch of the 100 year-old whitewashed central building, and then had dinner outonthetown. On Saturday we attempted a hike, but only made it 30 minutes in - we didn't all have the most appropriate footwear AND the hot beating sun was trying to melt me alive. SO! On with things; we took Trail Ridge Road up up up and up across the Continental Divide, winding and curving through Rocky Mountain National Park's peaks and plateaus. We gained more than 4,000 feet in a matter of minutes, and topped out at 12, 183 feet - eek! The views were amazing.... super super beautiful, and much better witnessed in person. It seems like an amazing park to spend some time in - camp, hike, wander, explore... but it was so super hot, and we were Denver bound.





On Monday while the sissies worked I drove down and met up with Jess Waltz, a basketball teammate and best friend from university. It had been six years since we'd seen each other, and even though much has changed (kids, husbands, houses, cities) it was as though it was just yesterday that we were in Spokane, drinking beer and procrastinating. It was great to meet her kiddies and spend the day together; it made me wish (again) that I had some Star Trek beam-me-there machine that would allow me to see her whenever I wanted. Hmmm.... where do I find one of those?


And now is when I talk about how completely and totally spoiled I am - spoiled with gifts! Jess and her family, and the sissies - everyone showered me and the little one on the way with presents, with cute cute CUTE presents! Outfits, books, stuffed animals... I am so grateful and so looking forward to meeting our little guy, and wrapping him up in all of his uber-cute new clothes. I also sort of spoiled myself and bought new boots and a pair of black pumps (I love you Nordstrom Rack) - !!! Super cute too, hurray. And so it was an amazing trip, and I should have taken more pics. I should also have a week 30 pregnancy pic to post! Woops. I'm still feeling fine and am not (yet) enormous... I think all is as it should be. We're in Bowmanville and Toronto until Saturday, and until then I'm looking forward to more time with family and friends!

No comments: