Monday, February 2, 2009

sans internet groundhog day...

We have no internet! Argh. We also had no hot water all day, and the biggest grocery store in town was missing some of our dinner essentials and we had to double up on the grocery store trips to find ground beef and garlic bread. (Essentials, sure... ha!) On the other hand, at grocery store number two (Mega Image), we found baby spinach which is a first for salad planning (for us) in Romania. Anyways, so no net all weekend and here we are at Hotel Malibu taking advantage of the friendly wireless signal. I had wanted to plan my trip to Istanbul over the weekend and get some ideas for yoga classes but, alas, no such luck. Actually... even though internet is a total necessity (moreso than garlic bread and ground meat), it wasn't so bad not having it - I had a break from the constant pull of the world wide web and the time sucking vortex that it can be. I read, I scrapbooked, I puzzled, I cleaned, and I had an awesome weekend.

On Saturday I got up early enough to get a really good workout in before Tammy and Sherisa's 2:00 game against the same sucky team that they played on Wednesday and beat no-contest 3-0. It was basically a repeat and, even though the team looked half-alive instead of fully comatosed, the result was the same: 3-0. Stelio's wife Val offered to host an impromtu dinner, so Tammy and I hit up the grocery store (daily activity) for salad fixings, martini stuff and dessert... to complement Val's spaghetti carbonara. We had all bases covered BUT... when we picked Sherisa up she was toting two bags holding two fancy cakes from one bakery. These cakes were amazing looking... and tasted pretty good too, even though I'm more of a simple just-cake-and-icing cake person - I'm not a fan of the fancy foofoo layers of mousse and soaked-in-something-cake and whipped cream etc. etc. So yup, we had a ton of food. With our blueberry martinis (vodka, blueberry vermouth and red berry juice), we watched Team Tomis lose their first game of the season to Zalau... what an upset. The outside hitters really struggled and Zalau played well, so ?? I hate to say it, but they deserved to win. That night, the poor guys had to get on the bus and drive two hours to Dej where they went to bed late and got up early to play a 1:00 game on Sunday... exhausting. What must have been really exhausting was the 10 hour bus ride home... bleh. Anyways, they won on Sunday and Steve arrived late (2am), tired and ready for a few days at home. I leave on Wednesday for four days in Istanbul, and he leaves Friday morning for yet another far away away-game in Piatra Neamt... oh, joy. So anyways... enough time spent in cyberspace - time to get home and make and EAT lasagna... yum.

No comments: