Tuesday, February 17, 2009

oh, Romania...

Wow. So, because none of my Christmas presents arrived (I sent them from here on December 10th, regular mail), I decided that I’d look into sending a small – and I mean small – package with DHL… perhaps more reliable than Romanian theftmail? Anyways, to send the CD and a card would have cost me 363 lei: over $130, and that’s without rush delivery. Ridiculous!! I am going to have to convert these to electrono form, and somehow send them over the internet. Argh. However, these frustrations with Romania (don’t get me – or Tammy – started) are nothing compared to what Tammy is going through… another mail (not male) related problem. When we got back from Christmas holidays, Tammy was pickpocketed in Mango while shopping: gone were her credit cards, license, etc. I wasn’t there but she said that a woman was checking out the same stuff she was, holding up sweaters and shirts and Tammy didn’t feel a thing… wallet - gone. Anyways, so she went through the whole rigmarole of getting a new set of cards re-issued, and Tammy’s mom sent a whole pack of them, along with a new battery for her computer in the mail a few weeks ago. Canada Post has tracked it to Romania, and it has since been lost. Yes, for real, lost. Romanian frustrations are running high around here these days, but despite it all it seems like a much better place to be than Gomel, Belarus. I haven’t talked to Steve yet but Agustina has talked to her boyfriend, the Argentinian setter, Sebastian, and it sounds kind of like Yaroslavl. Old Communist Mother Russia is still alive there – at least in the streets, buildings, and aura of the place… bleh. Constanta really isn’t such a bad place after all.

Speaking of people… and fashion, BOOTS WITH THE FUR is a common theme here. You know that song “Low” by Flo Rida? (Didn’t know the artist or the name of the song until just now, doh!) Well, it comes to mind here on a very regular basis (the lyrics do), as women love their boots with the fur. I’m reluctant to take pictures because I feel like I’m being rude and invasive, and even though people are rude and invasive on a regular basis here (and probably everywhere)… I still don’t know if I can do it. Example of the rudeness first. Walking through the grocery store today, it was quite clear (and this wasn’t he first time this has happened) that Sherisa is the first black person many Romanian children and grown ups have seen, and no one tries to dull, soften or be polite about intense staring and gawking. It is out of control. Furthermore, the entire idea of personal space (whether in person or in a car) is lost on the majority of Romanian people…. Or perhaps it’s just not a part of their culture. Anyways. On to fashion and style (or lack thereof). Boots with the fur is big (I’ve seen pink ones and red ones and lots of black ones), especially when paired with pants, shirt, sweater and jacket of the same furry colour. Red is surprisingly popular, as is bright pink. That’s a way to stand out in a crowd – a full pink, furry outfit; it’s almost Halloween costume-esque. Men’s clothing is pretty normal and boring (i.e. no fur), but the women really do it up. Not with the higher fashion look of Russian dames, but it’s pretty regular for women of all ages to be primped, preened and properly clothed for any and all activities. Unlike Russia, you’re not stared at with disgust if you wear runners, sweatpants or housecoats in the street. (And that includes fluorescent housecoats, and men are okay in those too.) I haven’t tried the housecoat look, but feel much better about walking around in my old runners and jogging pants than I ever did in Russia – and I'll stick with that look and leave the bright bathrobe for ... the bathroom.

No comments: