Monday, February 16, 2009

What a week... What a weekend!


Happy belated Valentine’s Day! We are still sans internet at home, so were disconnected from the virtual world on Saturday… and all other days. We’ve found a new, more reliable location to connect (new apartment building), and it even has plush sofas, plants and natural light (and a full-time maid that wanders around the lobby). The only problem is that there are smokers and it stinks – blech. Our previous haunt, the Hotel Malibu, has an unreliable connection and is cold; but we did find a new dog-pal there who lives under some concrete stairs, and he is so cute and so sweet. On Wednesday night I brought some meat for the little guy and he devoured it with more power than the latest Hoover – it was a spectacle. So, anyways! We had a busy week, and I’m not sure where to start. Yoga is going well, though without the internet my resources are cut to zero, so I’m planning on plumping myself down in one of these oversized sofa chairs for several hours on Monday to learn and plan… even if the people coming to classes won’t (or don’t) appreciate the effort I put in, I’ll benefit… is that more important? Even though I know the culture of yoga and awareness is a million billion zillion times stronger at home and in North America, it still irks me a bit to see people bringing in their phones, leaving or arriving half way through class, and trying new poses for about 0.3 seconds before they fall over and are done with it. Not everyone is like this, of course, but people just don’t work that hard, or really get the mind-body connection thing… and yes, I explain it. But… I’m learning, they’re learning and slowly we’ll find some harmony I’m sure... I hope.



Steve’s team played against a team from Belarus on Wednesday night and almost thumped them 3-0, but somehow managed to lose set three before winning the fourth 25-17. If they win this series (they have to win on Wednesday), they’re in the final four of the European Challenge Cup, which is kind of a big deal… so fingers crossed on Wednesday. They left this morning (at 5am) on yet another brutal road trip – drive to Bucharest, fly to Vienna, fly to Minsk, drive six hours and end up in Gomel. Yes, Gomel. Fun facts about the place? It's sister city in Canada is Sudbury; Maria Sharapova's parents lived there; it's the second largest city in Belarus; and, it was heavily contaminated in 1986 after Chernobyl, but never evacuated. Interesting, but not very amusing. Anyways...

The guys also played on V-day, which didn’t ruin any romantic plans – we’d decided to forego gift and flower giving and, instead, make martinis! After their game the girls played (both teams won 3-0), and Tammy, Arvis (Lithuanian guy), Steve and I went out for what we’d hoped would be a quick bite to eat… but wasn’t. It took an hour to get our appetizers, but we figured that it was because we took the last table up in the attic of the building – plus, it was super busy with big groups of dining Valentiners. Anyways, Tammy and I had bought goods to make peach, cranberry, and raspberry martinis – complete with fruit garnish and real-deal glasses – and after dinner went home to start bartending (and drinking). We’d invited some of Tammy’s team and some of Steve’s team, but not as many people showed up as we’d thought… which was fine – we have leftovers for another night! The drinks were delicious (my fave was peach: vodka, peach vermouth, peach juice and san pellegrino), as was the cake that Sherisa brought: chocolate layered with chocolate covered in chocolate – yum. Anyways, we went to Wish (nightclub) as per our usual Saturday night routine; we danced, got smoked out and Steve and I left early. Sunday really felt like Sunday, and the only other exciting news from the weekend, in Steve’s words, is: “Girlfriend got paaaaid!” Funny. Yup, I got paid for my first five classes of yoga, yay! I’ll just have to try to not spend it all at once…

My favourite - PEACH!

Me and Tammy
Steve and Arvis, a few martinis in...

We finished the puzzle! 3000 pieces!

No comments: