Saturday, October 11, 2008

i love home!!

So, it’s all done; I’ve moved out of my own house. The past couple of days (and weeks) have been a bit crazy: looking for and finding renters, cleaning, organizing, packing for Romania, packing up all of our stuff, booking flights and arranging trips and making sure everything on my list is crossed off and marked as complete. Ever since the Romania thing came up I’ve felt okay about leaving the house and renting it out, but today I have to say I was a bit sad. All of our stuff was packed away and the rooms were bare and empty – completely devoid of anything personal; plus, this is the first time that I’ve ever really felt like I have a home of my own. We’ve been so itinerant and have lived in so many places – even here in Winnipeg – but this time, it feels like my home, our home - and I’m leaving it! Plus, we’ve put a lot of work into the place; the transformation from pepto-pastel to modern, neutral (and in some cases bold) colours combined with some new (Ikea) furniture has made it cozy – and ours. So, even though I know that we’ll be back, and even though I know that that we have great friends to help look after the place, it just seems strange to leave. But! No home is complete without the people, and it’s been empty and a bit lonely in there all by myself. The second-rate hotel that Steve is still living in will sure be a change... but, we’ll be together and that’s the best of all. Yay.

empty empty empty...

a last look outside - beautiful fall colours!

all of our stuff, tetris-ed into a downstairs closet...

i love this view - so nice to wake up to...

So I’m on my way to Vancouver for what will probably be a bit of a whirlwind visit. We’re (my sister and I) heading up to my parent’s cottage tomorrow morning for a few days of Thetis Thanksgiving and who-knows-what, which leaves two days in Vancouver for shenanigans and some more who-knows-what. I am super excited about two solid plans: wedding dress shopping on Tuesday afternoon AND a girls night dinner and drinks on Wednesday… YAY! Super exciting. Then, back to Winnipeg for a day and half to tie up some loose ends and then it’s rock’n’roll Romania on Saturday. Actually, I don’t get on a plane headed for Romania until Sunday… but whatever. Last year we were fortunate enough to fly Business Class to Russia (and have it paid for) but this year, no dice. I’m back in the cattle car after swearing I’d never not fly Business Class again. Bottom line is, if I have to pay for it then it’s not going to happen (or if someone else isn’t going to pay for it – I’m certainly not going to) so just get me there as fast as you can and please may I have a window seat and please may I not be sitting beside anyone with stink or personal space invasion issues. I guess we’ll have to wait and see…

No comments: