Tuesday, September 30, 2008

the landfill blues...

Wow. Yesterday I had my first ever visit to the dump, the dump! Talk about garbage mountain! It was so impressive... My initial reaction wasn't even that it was so gross, just that it was so incredible, this massive landscape blob of garbage! All garbage! And then... wow, gross. It cost me $5 to drop off a pile of shower sliders, a few doors, tiles and that's about it. I wore Keds, no socks, and that was also kind of gross. There were massive garbage cruncher machines and all sorts of other people dumping, throwing, chucking... creating this massive mountain of trash - I don't even know what to say! I agree with my mom when she says that we should all visit the dump and see what we're creating with our active consumerism, and how disposable products that we use and throw away with such little thought are creating these ugh, mountains. I decided to learn a little bit about landfills and get this: apparently, the most prolific of landfill ingredient isn't diapers or plastic or styrofoam, but paper! William Rathje, a landfill archaeologist (or garbologist), dug into three landfills in Arizona (ew) and came to all sorts of conclusions about garbage; paper seems to be the number one culprit, and landfills act like giant mummifiers, preserving our garbage for a looong long time. Gross. I'm not sure what the deal is with burning garbage (more research needed), but some places do more burning than others, and some places export their garbage to other states and even other countries! Crazy. So yup, that was pretty interesting. The lesson from that trip is to reduce, reuse and recycle as much as possible, and be as responsible as possible as consumers.

Holiday eggnog in September? Red and green? A Snowman? This is Christmas stuff... already!

Okay then! On a completely different note, here are some random thoughts before I sign off. There is already Eggnog in the grocery store! Ridiculous! Maybe it's not a Christmas thing any more... ??? Obviously not exclusively anyways. Next: get me on that no-call list! This morning I was forced to get out of bed when the phone rang at 8am (I know, tough life): "Hello?" "Vrrrr, Vrrrrr (ships horn), Welcome Aboard! (Dripping with enthusiasm) This is the captain spea.." Click. Are you kidding me? And finally... saving the best for last, Happy Birthday Mom! Love ya!!!

No comments: