Thursday, April 17, 2008

magic bells


Yesterday afternoon Margaret, Irina (one of her students) and I visited Yaroslavl's private Museum of Music and Time; Margaret was genuinely interested, Irina laughed the whole time and I was sort of stuck in the middle, feigning interest and holding back the giggles. The small tour consisted of a young woman showing us different instruments, talking about them and then playing loud, ostentatious music on each and every musical contraption in the place... it was a bit much. I'm sure if I had a more thorough understanding of historical musical instruments (or any understanding) it would have been more interesting... but ??? There were gramophones, portable wind-up record players, clocks (musical and non-musical), irons (non-musical) and bells - lots and LOTs of bells. Margaret translated for me - Irina tried but couldn't hide the giggles... so stayed as silent as possible - as did a man who was super eager to speak French - he talked and talked and talked... and I retained none of what he said. Oops. Afterwards Margaret had a meeting to go to so Irina and I walked along the Volga and talked our way to our respective bus stops.


She asked me lots of questions about Canada and where I've travelled, and talked about her dreams - to travel to America and England. She said that most of her friends are happy living here in Russia, and see no other future for themselves other than the one offered in Yaroslavl, but she wants more. The sad thing is that she'll probably never be able to afford such a trip... and she knows it. She asked about salaries in Canada and what people are like and how much plane tickets cost - I said maybe around a thousand dollars? And she shook her head, rolled her eyes and laughed. Too expensive. Her family isn't poor but isn't rich, and she doesn't work; it would take a looooong time for her, and/or her family, to save that kind of money. My encouragement was to study and improve her language skills as much as possible - and who knows, maybe one day an opportunity might present itself. She hopes so... and so do I. There was only one crazy 16 year-old thing about her: she asked me if I knew who Tom Felton was - no idea. He's in the Harry Potter movies and plays the role of Draco Malfoy - I haven't seen any of the movies (gasp I know - haven't read the books either) and she is IN LOVE with him. I made a bit of a joke when she gave me her address (pen-pal... anyone?); I asked her if she wanted me to give it to Tom Felton. We laughed and she said Yes! Yes! But understood of course that it was a joke. ANYWAYS, we said goodbye at the bus stop and a few minutes later she came running back to me and asked me if there was any possible way, to actually really give Tom Felton her address and email. She was blushing, but all smiles, and, well I didn't really know what to say other than... I don't think it's possible! I don't know him! "Do you think I'm crazy?" she asked. I couldn't say yes so I said no. She said thanks and ran off. CUTE! A little crazy but 16 year-old crazy. A normal kind of crazy.
Magic Bells! Apparently if you make a wish and then ring these bells three times your wish will come true; Irina looked SO focused while making her wish! It just might have something to do with traveling.... and maybe Tom Felton ")

Steve comes home today! And hopefully we can get organized and figure out when we're coming home toute de suite.... yay!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could send her story and address to Tom Felton, if you put a SAE or an International Reply Coupon and envelope if you aren't in the United Kingdom, she'd probably get sent a picture.

Tom's agent's address is

Maxine Hoffman
CURTIS BROWN GROUP LTD
Haymarket House, 5th Floor, 28-29 Haymarket, London SW1Y 4SP
Telephone: 020-7393 4400
Fax: 020-7393 4401

Their website says :

If you want to send fan mail to any of our clients then please write to them c/o Curtis Brown.

If you are asking for an autograph or signed photograph:

You should include a self-addressed envelope with the correct postage attached.