Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Russian Rapunzel

Lately I've been feeling like a socially isolated Rapunzel up her soviet tower... I've only met a few people that I can communicate with, and as mentioned in a previous post, one of them is 11. I vowed to venture out and brave the strange language and unfriendly people, and make a trip downtown on the bus. I learned the Russian lingo needed to ask about where I buy a ticket, how much it costs, which busy I take etc. (I want to ask how old the buses are too... they are super rickety) BUT! when I woke up yesterday the internet wasn't working and whoever was supposed to come by at 1:30 didn't come until 4:00.... so I sat around all day not really wasting time but wasting my plans away. Today it is super windy and chilly so that's my excuse for not really wanting to be outside. We went to a hockey game the other night and met someone that works at a magazine that did an article on Freddy (other Canadian guy on the team)... so potential friend! WE were going to hang out last night but I missed her call, she missed mine and ??? it didn't work out. OH well...

I'm making my way to Moscow tonight where I'm going to meet up with Steve tomorrow - he's on his way back from a road trip and staying in Moscow for an all-star game, so that's exciting. We're going to check out the Kremlin and if we have time, see some other Moscow sites. Apparently the all-star game is a big deal... all of the club officials, president, manager, administrators etc. are going to watch because there are famous people speaking and performing at a banquet (there's a banquet!) including a Russian strong man (!?) AND maybe even PUTIN will be there.... isn't that crazy! I wasn't sure whether to believe him, but I think he was serious. So.. ??? We'll see! And bonus - I get to travel to Moscow in the president's private car... pish posh. Here are some pics from the hockey game - the kid lodged between me and Steve is Max...


1 comment:

Ericandles said...

Hooray for new updates...I hadn't checked in a while. I am happy to see that you are writing again, and such interesting stuff. Ah Heather, I can relate on SOOOOO many levels. Keep your chin up. Get someone to send you magazines. Listen to the CBC online. Oh, and keep posting!!