Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My Wednesday...

So I made it to another mall again today, via some super icy sidewalks... and didn't have any luck finding a jacket or a bathing suit, doh. There are huge sales though, with Columbia jackets for about $80 Canadian which I think is a good deal?? Anyways, because we only have one set of keys, Steve and I both assumed that he'd be done with practice before I made it back from the mall (not because I was shopping my brains out, but because it's a 30 minute walk)... but since it went longer than expected, I waited at the same cafe where I had a coffee yesterday in the mini shopping complex beside the grocery store outside our place, and read my book. Instead of having coffee, I decided to do as the Russians do and hit the booze early. I passed on the vodka (the man in front of me in line, with his wife and maybe 6 year old girl, had a cup of warm vodka and a cup of warm apple juice... ew.)and went for the Russian corona which was good. I also had a donut/bun thing that was filled with ricotta cheese and onions, that was yum. After two beers and some snacks, I felt better about the fact that once again, all I'd bought was groceries.


The Mayonnaise Aisle!! (the ENTIRE aisle is mayonnaise)
Some other observations - Russians LOVE love love love mayonnaise. There is an entire aisle devoted to mayonnaise... kind of gross but apparently mayo is their sauce and substitute for everything - salad dressing, sandwich spread, meat sauce, fish sauce, you name it. There seem to be a gazillion different flavours - I covertly took a pic in the store yesterday; yes I was careful to avoid the glares and stares of the grocery police. I've been tempted to take pictures of other parts of the grocery store (like the bins of dried, flaked and shredded fish or the vodka aisle) but I'm not sure if they encourage people take pictures of the food, and prefer to avoid the attention of the grocery police!


my snack at the cafe... yum.



weird sign - I don't get the glasses - put them on??

PS! check out www.etsy.com - neat site with cute crafty things for sale... yum again.

No comments: