Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Procrastinating..

Yes, I'm procrastinating. I thought I'd write something to postpone my run in the icy park for another 20 minutes (will it be too dark by then to even go? probably)... I walked to a new shopping complex today (new to me and new to Yaroslavl), and only came back with groceries, very exciting! But the place is so new that most stores aren't open and the ones that are shouldn't be - no stock. Other than that I don't think I've ever mentioned that the town we are living in, Yaroslavl, is one of the oldest cities in Russia, and in 2010 will be celebrating its 1000th birthday! now THAT is crazy.

Canada's oldest city by European standards is either St. John's (the oldest English founded settlement in North-America according to Wikipedia... "discovered in" 1497 and founded as England's first overseas colony in 1583) or Quebec City (founded 1608)- much too short of a search really but my point is that we have to wait a looong time to be able to say that any of our Canadian cities are turning 1000 years of age. So.... I must get downtown and see if I can find a tourist information booth - fingers crossed! okay, time to go for a run... These are pictures of the view from our living room window (usually it's not quite so bleak... I swear!)

1 comment:

Ericandles said...

That view looks a lot like the panorama out of one of our apartments in Northern Germany. Good score on the lettuce.