Tuesday, December 31, 2013

last post of 2013!

It's 2014 - tomorrow! Which is strange, since the 2000s don't really seem like that far away... nor do the 90s, really, for that matter. However, every time I say/think something like that, I have to acknowledge the polar opposite; because so much has happened say, since 2001, it's all quite understandable that we are here, at 2014, ready to welcome another year. So much has happened this year! And in the past two years and three years that if you told me that it was 2019 I'd have to believe you (but not believe that my kids were - how old will they be then? - nine and seven!). Anyways, the year has been good to us, as all of our years have been - we came home from China to clean air and open skies, and family. And future. And I am ever so thankful for all of these things and the many other things that we so often take for granted here in Canada. May all of our years, this one and those too, that lie ahead in wait, be full of health, happiness, love and support. And workouts. (And smooth transitions. And good books.)


Many of these things, workouts and good books included, were all a part of this past weekend; Steve and I spent three kid-free days in Niagara on the Lake where we lunched with friends (Dan and Milka), went to a movie (American Hustle - I'd give it 3 1/2 stars/5), went to yoga (just me) and feasted and feasted and feasted. I love breakfast buffets, but really when it comes down to digging in and getting my money's worth at the trough, I can't compete - though most people seemed to eat in moderation, the idea of overconsumption and pig-outery that happens at buffets is a bit mmmm off-putting. Even though I like having the option of going hog wild (har-har), in reality it's my eyeballs that enjoy doing the feasting. And there is my unintentional blurb on buffets. Anyways! We had a great time, and even though I missed the kids like crazy (Alana especially), it was great to get away from it all.


And then yesterday afternoon it was great to get back to it all! And Alana has been a little cling-machine ever since - though I'm sure the cold that she's working her way through isn't helping any. She did have a solid sleep last night, so that was the best welcome home I could have asked for. We went skating this morning, and Alana cried her way through her first (and last) five minutes on the ice. Hendrik, on the other hand, showed his best-yet performance, and managed to get himself skating! There were no - zero - frozen statue moments, and Steve spent minimal time hunched over and/or on his knees trying to get the kid going. Is it a Grandma and Gramps charm? Maybe. They were there and I was off-ice walking around with Alana, until she fell asleep on my shoulder, the darling.

Though we have no big plans for the night, I'm guessing we'll stay up and watch the countdown and cheers cheers and hug and then go to bed at 12:15. To all those near and far, all the best in 2014... see you next year!


No comments: