Wednesday, October 16, 2013

the thick of it... autumn!



When Autumn started knocking down Summer's door a few weeks ago, I was none too happy about it; Fall means Winter means cold cold cold! Swapping flip flops for Sorels and layers and layers for just one... ugh... non merci! However, after a long weekend at the Crowe and a few days before and after of comfortable weather and no heat or AC on in the house and a here and now attitude, I'm loving it. Loving fall that is. I mean, I have to think about it for what it is - and ignore the fact that five (?) months of chill are on their way. Plus, the fall colours have been beautiful... so beautiful in fact, that they inspired me and my Crowe Cup partner Ralph Tukker, to take home the gold. Let me fill yer in on that one: come Thanksgiving, the Brinkman-Tukker clan decamps to the cottage for food, festivities, fall walks and the Crowe Cup, a hockey-card-game tournoi that is taken very seriously by all competitors (a version of this game). Ralph and I worked our way through the round robin finishing a paltry 4th out of five teams, but outwitted the favoured duo of Bob Crocker and Steve, "The Killer Crows 2" to take home the cake. We even surprised ourselves! Stealthy confidence and a calm and easy attitude - with zero expectations - got us our name on the trophy, forever sharpied into the history books. Hup hup, les champions!

I'm sure there's much to write about, but my lists are long. And time is short. Oh! I have to add that Hendrik starts preschool tomorrow - !!! Upon our return from Vancouver, where Ellie, the apple of his eye, attends a parent-run preschool of sorts, I hit google and found a match here. I'm sorry to say that it isn't right down the street but.... the community centre that is also home to the small school offers babysitting for less than $5 an hour! And fitness classes! And a coffee shop! And a massive, amaaaaazing playground! I'm excited. Can you tell?

I'm also excited about the fact that I'm playing women's league vball - I'm full-time signed up for a team and we won our game last night and I still (mostly) remember how to play. It was SO FUN! I can't wait for next week... what!

Okay, now I'm going to post pictures and work on le list; so far, this is it:
- make a Franklin costume for Hendrik for Halloween?
- new car seat for Alana....
- blog
- look for warmie winter suit for Alana on kijiji

One thing down!
with Gramps, golfing, pumpkin' carving, and THE menu
leaves!!!


No comments: