Saturday, February 18, 2012

numbered noteworthies

Because there is mucho to write about, I'm going to do a highlights of the week post again. Wait, how about numbered noteworthies, because, as you will see, not all of these really qualify as highlights (see number 5)...

1. My sister was here visiting! And I didn't even take any pictures. Okay, I lie; I took this one photo of her significant other trying out Hendrik's bib:

I'm pretty sure it was the first glass of wine too... nice!
Sarah and Jeff have some time off of school and were back in the continental EU to ski ski and ski. They spent a week (I think) in Chamonix before spring break took over, and then stopped in here on their way to Austria and Slovakia, and it was great to have them around for a few days. We didn't do too too much of note - we ate, went for walks, went for gelato ... and hm, that's about it I guess. They arrived on Tuesday night just in time for lasagna, yum. I gave the Antonella lasagna another try and it was delicious, but not as good as hers. As everyone at the table noted, I am not Italian and nor have I been making this lasagna for 20+ years (as I imagine she has)... so I've still got some work (and time) ahead of me to get it just right.


2. Steve brought me these beautiful flowers on Tuesday, and it made my day. Love!


3. At some point this week I made sticky date pudding with toffee sauce, and I'm absolutely positively sure that it's one of the top five best desserts ever. It is that good. As most desserts of this stature are, it's a serious calorie bomb, but when shared with others (read: give half of it away) there's really no reason not to make this on a regular basis. So so so so good.


4. Steve left on Friday morning for almost a week (sad face). They play in the Italian cup this weekend in Rome (finals tomorrow against Macerata) and then play Macerata again on Wednesday in European Cup quarter-finals. That game should be broadcast on www.laola1.tv and I'm guessing they play at 8:30. Bam! We will miss him. I sure did miss him tonight...

5. ... while I was cleaning up after our little stinker. I do advise to move on to number 6 if you have no desire to read about the wonderful world of baby-toddler pees and poops but I just have to write about it because it was funny. SO! Our poor babe has had a bit of a nasty diaper rash for the past day or two, so I decided to let him run free tonight - as I did this morning, when there was a pee here and maybe a pee there, but nothing more. Tonight, however, was a different story. The dirty diapers have been rolling in all day so I figured that the worst thing that could happen is pee but - of course I was wrong. I was googling bad diaper rash when it got a bit quiet on the couch and then oooh yup, there was poop. On the couch on his hands, his feet, his legs, but nothing anywhere near where the stuff comes out. Strange, no? Anyways, if this is too much information - I did warn you. I gave him a bath and let him cruise around sans diaper once again, thinking that he might be done for a bit ... wrong again mumsy! But this time, the little sneaker knew exactly what he was doing! He peed, and then I cleaned it up while he giggled and squealed and ran around, and then when I finished cleaning it up he'd do it again! The pee plus the running and laughing routine.... and by the eighth time (or so), he was peeing on cue just as I finished mopping up the previous little puddle and I couldn't help but laugh. It all ended when a number two accompanied the number one and with poop on the couch and puddles I had to diaper the guy. We shall try again tomorrow morning, and the couch will remain off limits.


6. Steve played on Sunday in Trentino Volley's win over Modena (pictures here) and it was a crazy game. Well, not soo so crazy but the gym was packed and the first set was close close; it finished 34-32 in favour of the home team. Hendrik was all over the place, so I didn't get to watch too much of the game, but caught enough of it to know what was going on. Steve played really well and ? it was a good night. We went for pizza after and it was amazing... so delicious. Steve and I both wolfed down our food before the other guys even ordered so we could get home and get our little one to bed before it got too late. We will definitely be going back to this place up in Povo... what a gem.

7. We finally went to the pool! It's been months and months (say ooooh about five) that we've been meaning to take our boy swimming here, and it finally happened. We met Emelie, Per and Isa for a swim at Madonna Bianca and Isa loved the water; Hendrik wasn't so sure. It was a bit on the chilly side - for a kiddie pool - but he had fun. And I got to swim a few laps which was great - why haven't we been doing this all along? We went for paninis after and that part wasn't so fabulous but... we found a cafeteria type restaurant just below our mediocre panini spot that is a definite repeater. Sarah and I had lunch there the following day and it was incredible... especially for cafeteria food.

I'm sure there's more to write about but I need to go to bed... ouf. I won't get my relief pitcher back until next Thursday so I'd better follow that naggy advice-for-mom-warble, sleep while the baby sleeps! if I want to get some shut-eye. Buananotte!

3 comments:

Maggie B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maggie B said...

What a cutie looking at your flowers!!.....oh and yes the flowers are nice too! What a little stinker (#5) where does he get that from?!!!! Great for you to have Sarah and Jeff visit again....Jeff looks great in the bib! Take care. Skype soon?

Ms. Gloster said...

Love the pic of Steve as well as the story about the couch and the "incident". haha! Miss you!