Saturday, February 11, 2012

Highlights...

... of the week (in no particular order):



1. On Thursday Steve had a day off!! Finally. It was the first completely free non-travel day he's had in over a month, so needless to say, he was pretty stoked. We tried planning something for a few days but were undecided; big day trip? small day trip? did he want to rest rest rest or drive drive drive? It wasn't super successful, the whole planning in advance thing. So finally, after a slow morning and lunch at home (leftover butter chicken, yum), we took off for Bolzano, headed for the Funivia del Renon. Steve's parents visited Bolzano and told us that we had to had to had to do this one sightseeing thing there, so that was that... a good half-day, baby-friendly (or toddler-friendly? is Hendrik a toddler?) non-physically challenging excursion. The twelve-minute trip up offered an incredible climb and incredible views, and the little train was waiting for us at the top. The train is the area's public transit system, weaving between small clusters of homes and farmhouse-properties; it was beautiful! Fairytale, storybook beautiful. We found a spot for coffee and marvelled at the mountain views while Hendrik ran around the empty restraurant. Yup, it was one of those spots totally lost on kids - a view? sitting? Boring! I remember all too well. Anyways, it was a great day trip, and I'm sure we'll go back with other visitors. I have a list of agroturismos in the area that I want to look up, just in case Steve happens to magically have a few days off before we have to go home. Yeah, right.
views from the trenino

clockwise from top L: on the train, cable-carring down to Bolzano, the view that came with our cappucinos, and the two boys enjoying an oatmeal cookie :)
2. Hendrik has been telling us, on and off and very inconsistently, when he has to or has already done a number two, for quite a while. His sign for poop (which is something like a more horizontal version of this) is sometimes accompanied by "poop", or something similar. Anyways, he's also been more and more interested in mom and dad's trips to the bathroom where everything is considered a poop; he looks and does the sign and is quite happy with himself. SO! The other day when Steve was in the bathroom Hendrik busted in there squeaking "poop poop" and doing the sign and brought him a diaper...! It was hilarious. This kid is understanding things. Poop. Maybe it's time we get him a little trainer pot. !!!


3. So, you know how when kiddie is out of your sight and things get reeeally quiet, you know something is up... right? Hendrik had been playing by himself while I was on the computer, and then it was quiet and he was no longer with me in the kitchen-living room. Hmmmm. Does he have his hand in the toilet? Is he eating toilet paper? Not that he's ever done either of these things (knock on wood) but I wondered... I was suspicious. Into the hallway I go - he wasn't in the hall or in the bathroom but in the bedroom ON the bed... reading. Knees bent, he was sitting on his heels reading Bear Snores On. And what's more, he was at the page where "Mouse sips wee slurps | Hare burps big burps!" making little burping noises. It may have been the sweetest thing I have ever seen in my entire life. I didn't even know he could get up on the bed by himself! Oh Hendrik. Sweet sweetness!


4. Right now I'm writing this blog in Bottega del Cafe Dersut, and I have to say that this is a highlight in itself - being out alone, with coffee and a panino in this beautiful cafe. I want to order everything - the salads, the paninis.... and it's only 10:45. I suppose I'd better wait until lunchtime. I'm on my way to get a haircut, finally. What is with me, that I only get my haircut every 10 months? Ouf. Thank goodness for hair elastics.

5. Steve was a big part of Trentino Volley's last two wins, against Maaseik (Wednesday - photos here) and San Guistino (last Sunday)... yaaaaay! And they play at home tomorrow and will be here all week! Well, until Friday - and then they're on the road for five or six days, boo. But, such is life with this top top team.

I finished What is the What (recommend) and took two more books out of the library (The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet and a Hillary Mantel book), but these aren't really worthy of the highlight label. And I'm sure there's more to write about.... hmm. Anyways, I'll enjoy some time at the cafe sans computer before I head to the salon, ooh la la. Until next time!

3 comments:

Maggie B said...

Great blog! Hendrik reading instead of getting into mischief.......AWESOME!

grandma said...

Great pictures..is Hendrik joining or starting a book club soon???

Heather Osberg said...

love these comments!!