Friday, August 20, 2010

books for mrs brinkman

And I'm a few steps closer to officially being a Brinkman. Well, I suppose that I am a Brinkman, having married one and all, but I'm finally getting around to changing all of my ID - bank card, visa card, social insurance number etc. I think I had to sort of ease into the name change thing (this might be a thinly veiled excuse; it has been over a year since the wedding) - going from Heather Osberg to Heather Brinkman? Sounds easy enough I suppose, but I've always been Heather Osberg... that's me! And Heather Brinkman is married and pregnant and, at least by those two accounts, a grown-up. Hmmm.... hm... grownup schmownup.

I had an awesome swim this morning, and in a brand new belly-less (two piece) bathing suit! The babe has made my regular attire a little bit uncomfortable, so Steve and I made it out to Aquasport where there was a great selection of two piece suits designed for swimming. It's kind of funny, that most bathing suits aren't really meant for swimming... they're more for lounging or tanning or hanging out - for bathing? Bathing suit not swimming suit.... right. Anyways, we got the suit and then spent close to an hour in rain and traffic trying to get home, which was interesting. Steve likes to point out the many similarities between Winnipeg and Ottawa, one of which is the drivers; people have issues (or aren't familiar with the action) merging, and there are SO many people that, when making a left turn, don't pull out into the intersection on a green light. It made for minor frustrations (our fault for trying to run errands too close to rush hour) for us, but bigger ones for others. I had to honk at someone attempting to either cut me off or get rammed by our big red truck, which prompted a short but vitriolic outburst from a seriously incensed man (driving with his wife/girlfriend), who stuck his head out the window and screamed with every ounce of vocal power in his body, "FFFFF***&&^%%%%K YOUUUUU!!!!". Eeeeeeep! It was so ridiculous it made me laugh a little - maaaaan! people get worked up about stuff.

And I'm going to finish with a short list of books that I've been reading... or plowing through. The plowing through applies to Alexander McCall Smith's Number One Ladies' Detective Agency series which I am loving... as soon as I finish one I want the next. Having said that, after finishing four fabulous accounts of Mme Ramotswe and her trials and triumphs, I may be ready for a one book break before I go for number five. I tried reading Yann Martel's newest, Beatrice and Virgil, but couldn't do it... I gave it my best effort and decided that there are too many good books in the world to slog it through an unenjoyable one. And one of these days, I swear, I'll get around to all of that pregnancy reading. ;)

No comments: