Monday, July 20, 2009

from Calgary to Vancouver

And another week is gone! I had enough self control to not demolish the bucket of Oreo ice cream but I sure did gobble up The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society – it was sooooo good! A fast read with a great story and fantastic, lively writing, it’s one that I’m pretty sure I’ll read again. And, Guernsey! It made me want to visit. Coincidentally, our childhood once-(or two times)-a-week nanny, Grandma Heath (I should dig out a picture of this lady, we loved her!) hails from the very same channel island. There are just so many places to go in this world – sigh!

So my time in Calgary was good. Volleyball was busy but fabulous, and the last day was incredible (as far as sports camps go) – the camp’s all-star team played Team Alberta and did such a good job. I think my favourite part is seeing the girls celebrate after executing new and/or refined skills. Some of them got some huge blocks and the yelling and group excitement was soooo awesome. So, it all ended well – we were a happy group of coaches, and they were a happy group of sweaty volleyballers hugging and thanking us and, the very best part? It was over! Week one of work – done! There wasn’t too much celebrating – a movie on Friday night, a backyard inflatable pool party on Saturday (post-gardening) chez Kim and Jesse (perfectly mellow and fun) and out for drinks with a small group of friends on Saturday night. I finally dragged my sorry self out of bed early enough today to go for a run, and thoroughly suffered on the Hugh McBluff stairs – ugh. I closed up shop at Erin and Fred’s place, and Claire, Chris and I went to check out the salsa festival in Kensington. And that’s salsa as in salsa that you eat not salsa that you dance. This was the deal: buy a bag of chips, and sample salsa from I’m not sure how many booths, and then vote on your favourite… how awesome is that!? There were also booths and contests and things for sale, but we looooved the salsa, and ended up not voting for last year’s champ (more of a dip than a salsa – sheesh), but for Julio’s – it was simple and delish: tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and maybe something else but that’s all my non-refined salsa tongue could pick out. It was goooooood! We were salsa- and crowded out after an hour and a half, and after saying byebye to Kim and Jesse, headed for the airport with Claire and Chris. And so… I’m on my way back to Vancouver, and think I’m ready for more volleyball. Work week number two starts in Seattle, with pretty full days (11 hours) of camp… eeeeyikes. But it will be great – I’m working for a mentor that I can learn sooo so much from, and I feel lucky to get some time in with him. Well… WestJet is calling... time to fly!

No comments: