Saturday, September 26, 2015

up-date

I'm reading these novels - because they belong to a genre I don't usually read (it's for school) - so far so good!
September is almost OVER! Crazy. I'm going to divide this post up into a per-person summary, just to help with organization - I am a seriously tired mamacita these days trying to get to everything, and am just going to give in and read tonight (instead of doing any schoolwork). Here goes...

two boys building
Steve
Steve left for Palm Springs bright and early this morning armed with his golf clubs, ready to get some quality time in with his buddies before the BIG WEDDING happening next Friday night. Our most amazing friends Freddie and Shanti are tying the knot (and I can't WAIT to get down there myself) and it is going to one helluva week of pre-wedding festivities. Steve's been busy around the house planning and doing projects, the latest and greatest of which is attending to a dysfunctional storage area in the basement; seeing as how there's scant storage in this ancient home (closing in on 100 years old!), it's a pretty big deal. He moved access from inside the storage cubby (always stuffed with stuff - making access a non sequitur) to the wall, and he'll get a homemade barn door up to cover what will be a pantry and accessible (imagine!) storage area. He starts hockey soon, is coaching once a week at McMaster and is busy with the kids when I'm at school. Next!

photo creds: alana
ME
Ugh! Life is crazy busy, but I can't and wouldn't want to drop anything. School is alright - I have two classes I really like and two that I'm so-so on - and I really need to get going with assignments as I know they'll start piling up as the semester rolls on (but not tonight!). I'm coaching once or twice a week at Western again and will be the interim head coach come January - when the head coach has her first baby (eek!). I'm excited and a little nervous about it - but way more excited. I'll drop down to part time with school and then will have just one course left to finish my program. And then? We'll see... Other than that life is full of house stuff, kid stuff and making meals and cleaning up from meals. Bah!

Alana took 40 pictures at Home Depot the other day, including these two gems :)
Alana
This one is sloughing off the baby and toddler label and becoming a kid. She's made huge advances on the potty training front (which is amazing), and it happened pretty suddenly; she won't even wear a diaper to bed and insists on doing everything by herself (sound like anyone you know Mom and Dad?) and is doing a fine job of it all. She's in preschool three mornings a week and seems to be loving that - she only cried a little bit when I dropped her off on Thursday which, of course, broke my heart a little bit; and then when she bravely let go of my hand and went inside with her teacher - tears still in her eyes - I was proud too. She has big feet and is tall and strong - she holds her own with Hendrik, and will fit in just fine with the Grade 1s when she starts Junior Kindergarten next year (she's as big if not bigger than most kids in Hendrik's class). She's still attached to Robyn Doggy and prides herself in distributing Fruit-to-go snacks to everyone on weekday mornings, making sure everyone has a snack for school.


Hendrik
I didn't mention that the kids have been actually playing together and getting along really well, and it's so nice! We find we don't need to intervene as much, and they've come up with their own games and pretend worlds; it's very cute. Forgive me if this doesn't make any sense, but they've been playing pretend TV, which involves Hendrik measuring how much TV they are allowed to watch (literally measuring with Steve's tape measure) - "Okay it's 58 inches of TV now Alana and that's it!") - and then the two of them will sit on the basement steps and laugh and point at the pretend TV they're watching... I love it! School is going well too, though we never get much information out of the dude; he's in swimming lessons once a week and has mastered the deep end swim - we have a swimmer! He's still super into dinosaurs and loves jumping on the trampoline morning noon and night, and is a good reader. I can't believe he'll be five soon - !

Okay that's it for now - here's a peek at the in-progress basement storage reno (major excitement, I know).


No comments: