Thursday, January 23, 2014

news....

this, right before we left for the airport: Hendrik was singing, Alana bawling, and Steve: "I'm going to Greece!"
I'll just go ahead and blurt it out: Steve is in Greece! Patras, Greece, and he left yesterday after we decided the day before yesterday that we could make it all work and that his answer should be would be yes. There had been a few jobs in the works, but you never know if things will pan out until an offer is made and a contract offered up, and let me just say that it wasn't an easy decision; he leaves, I stay here with the kids on my own, and then pack it all up for a month or two after having (sort of) settled into a bit of a routine (Hendrik has preschool, I'm coaching and playing). However, a few months in Greece? Sure! And the plan is this (I think - we didn't have much time to make one): Steve leaves yesterday (check) while I hold on to my sanity (so far, check) and follow through on my Ontario Winter Games coaching duties. When those are all wrapped up (beginning of March), we get on a plane and make for warmer climes in western Greece. Hendrik was ready to pack his bags today, and to tell you the truth, I was too; it was -24 this morning - which is downright frigid... I mean, really really really cold. Too cold, in fact, for our stroller. It snapped. A plastic (I think it's plastic) hinge thing (I think that's what it was - it was too cold!)) actually snapped, and now we have a bit of a dangly footrest for our chiles. I'll pick up some superglue and see what I can do - and I'll keep the thing inside from here on out, though hauling it in along with two kiddies and whatever other paraphernalia we happen to have along (groceries, purse, backpack etc) might be challenging.


Anyways, Patras! We lived here when Steve played for EAP in 2006-2007, and even though this job is with a different team, I can still look forward to the food, to spending time with our good friend Nick, to enjoying warmer weather, the beaches... it's the place where these photos were taken (in 2005):

Yeah, right? I mean, why are we not on our way to the airport!?

And here's a fun fact: it's where my blog was born! The first few posts were pretty paltry if I do say so myself, but it was the start of something great for me - I know I'll look back at this log and be so thankful that I kept a record of some of our overseas stints.

one of her signature moves: food in the milk
And I'll be thankful that I'm keeping a record of Miss Supereater (see video: she's fully charged!) and our resident artiste and scallywag, Hendrik. I called Alana a scallywag (what a word!) and Hendrik said, "I am 150 tons more scallywag than Alana is. I am WAY more scallywag, 150 tons more." Yes you are Hendrik, yes you are. Though you wouldn't be able to tell from any of these pictures, would you?

art from preschool plus "alana" at the far right
"moooooose!" and alana's attempt at antlers :)

1 comment:

Maggie B said...

Scallywag……hilarious!
Lots of words from Alana….awesome!