Monday, June 24, 2013

35!


I am now, officially, in my mid-thirties. Last week's big 3-5 celebration involved cake, family, gifts, sleep, a run - and then the following day, a birthday sandwich backseat drive from B-ville to Gatineau, with me gooing and cooing at Alana so as to not have her blow her top with tears. And upon our arrival there was more cake at the Lewis household, where Dan and Jess and William and Freddie and Shanti and Haldane were waiting with the best ice cream cake I've ever had - thanks to all aforementioned people and La Cigale... it was dee-licious. And since then, we've more or less settled in - I've gone grocery shopping, we've unpacked, and Steve is back to work. On that note, there's glass half-full glass half-empty news: he's not traveling to Finland and Japan to compete in the next two world league matches, but will stay here with us, training, working away and wondering, like I am, about what comes next (this fall, next summer, and beyond). Is this 16-year national team chapter coming to a close? Maybe, but maybe not.
a celebration of these two, coming up!
So our plans are to more or less stay in this swamp-pot (32 and humid today) until the big 50th wedding anniversary of Aunt and Unc, which is happening in a few weeks. Back to Bowmanville we'll go for a big family reunion, and while we're there, hopefully we'll get back into the city to see some friends. Oh, and hopefully Alana will sleep; she's had some really good nights (11 hours) and some baaaaad ones (Steve and I woke up this morning feeling like we'd had zero zzzzs), so even though I know that we need to just take what we can get (and go to bed early), I'll hope for consistency.

I've had a few amazing catch-up chats with my sisters, and I'm looking forward to our westward September visit like a donut looks for a deep fryer (donuts on the brain). The Original 6 Osbergs will all be there under one roof, with a few chillins added on for good measure. Plus, my most favourite girlfriend in the world is getting married (she has her dress! we have bridesmaids dresses!) and I can't wait to see her and see her marry the love of her life. I have to admit that I've been feeling a little too far away from friends here, and while I know that I can make new ones, it's been a bit challenging - our move-all-the-time life, the language barrier, and, you know, most people have their lives all bustling along, social circuit included; people aren't always looking to strike up new friendships, and I get that. Anyways, I'm beyond thankful for the good friends that we do have here, but miss all of the others that live so far away. Sheesh, I shouldn't (and don't want to) complain... but that regularity that will come with the roots that we'll put down one day will be refreshing. When? Where? TBD.

No comments: