Friday, October 26, 2012

this and and that that

I meant to post these pics last time too, but didn't:

on a run bike! thanks kijiji....

I thought Hendrik would be way more into the run bike... but maybe he's just a little too little. And the muffins? They're Marg's best-ever bran muffins, and the batter keeps FIVE weeks in the fridge; this means fresh muffins whenever you like, which equals delicious. Keep reading for the recipe.

And what's what? We leave in one week for Beijing - ak! I'm so so excited, but have trouble looking past the stuff and the bags that need to be packed. I'm hoping I can get it all into three bags, but am not so sure it's do-able. The cloth diapers take up a good slice of the pie, and we're bringing a pack and play - these two things alone might pack a bag themselves. On that note (the cloth diaper one), I'm wondering if it's crazy of us to cart all of these diaps to China... I mean, aren't all of the disposables probably made there? And why should I care about filling China's landfills? Anyways, we're going to try it and see how it goes.


Alana is growing, fast. Most of the 3-6 month and 6 month sleepers that she's been sporting for the past two weeks will stay here for the winter, chez mes parents. She's not a total lunker (I don't think), but is long; the sleeper-feet are full, and there's no real reason to bring anything along that is already snug (I'm thinking about the packed bags). Plus that means I get to go out and do a little bit of shopping myself, something I haven't done much of. And the girl stuff is all so cute! I must not go overboard I must not go overboard I must not go overboard. I must think of the bags, and all of the stuff. Done. I must mention too that she's smiling and starting to coo, and it's the best. I love her!


And Hendrik? Now he IS a lunker. I haven't weighed him since we arrived, but I'd be willing to bet money that he's at least 35 pounds now (ouf). I'm tired, so can't get a thorough blog out here but his favourite book at the moment (I must mention) is The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes, one of the most darling books ever. My mom got a whole whack of Halloween books out, and while she was in the kiddie-book cupboard dug out an extra copy of The Country Bunny; Hendrik has paid no attention to the Halloween books, but has fully glommed on to this one. It's about a mother bunny that has 21 baby bunnies and sort of forgets about her dream of becoming one of the five easter bunnies. And then, because she keeps her little ones so orderly and pleasant and well-behaved, the old wise Grandfather bunny selects her as an Easter bunny and picks her to do one of the most difficult Easter egg deliveries. The pictures are so sweet and so perfect and I love love love this book. Also now, because I'm a mom - the story is a nice reminder that what was once important to me should stay important to me; moms can be moms and be other things too. That day will come... but for now, I'm so lucky to be able to enjoy my two little bunnies, and to see them grow and change before my eyes. Love!



Marg's Best-Ever Bran Muffins 
combine and let stand 10 minutes: 2 cups All Bran (the wormy sticks), 1 litre buttermilk

mix together: 2 1/2 cups sugar, 1 tbsp salt, 5 1/2 cups flour, 2 cups bran flakes, 8 tsp baking soda

beat together and add to buttermilk mixture: 4 eggs, 1 1/2 cups oil
stir into dry ingredients until just mixed

put in covered container and keep in fridge 24 hours before using. keeps 5 weeks

bake 3/4 full 375 for 20 minutes
(make half the recipe if you're the only one eating bran muffins... like me, here!)


And a few more pics: Halloween House at Park Royal this morning, and a visit with Rod; a solid Thursday morning.....



Alana at almost eight weeks

No comments: