Tuesday, April 3, 2012

catching up

trying some on for size
 There's too much to write about! Let's see if I can fit it all in (/remember everything)..

Our latest guests (Erin & Fred) have come and gone, and their visit flew by. They were here for 10 days (-ish, I think) and took a few road trips, so that might explain why things seemed to go so quickly. PLUS, Hendrik and I were up early (they, usually, were not) and Steve was at practice twice a day almost every day, so that kind of a schedule doesn't exactly jive with that of a couple vacationing in Italy. Or anywhere for that matter... I wouldn't be getting up at 7:00 if I were on vacation! That's for sure. Ohhhhh vacation... I still dream of you! A kid-free vacation that is; this summer Steve and I should be able to fit in a one-night escape to the cit-tay (Toronto) and then oooh in about five years we'll really escape - wherever it will be I want beach, warm water, warm weather and a good hotel. Sigh.... one day. Um, yeah, back to reality...

And the reality is that we've all been sick, BOO. Hendrik has had a cold - he's waking up in the night, and in the morning his nostrils are sealed shut with dried snotballs, poor feller. And then throughout the day there's more snot and a runny, sensitive nose and I have to have tissues on hand at all times. I've had a sore throat (not so so bad) and Steve's allergies are hitting him like the plague - runny nose, itchy eyes, cough... on and on. It's so bad that he's been sleeping upstairs for goodness sakes... otherwise no one gets any sleep and grumpiness rules the day which, to state the obvious, is no good at all. BUT the good news is that I think (I hope) that we're on the mend. I really really hope that Hen and I have kicked the cold by the weekend because my parents get here on Saturday! I'm so excited. We won't plan to do too too much, but there are a couple of things on the list, including a trip up to Cavalese on Tuesday morning for my 20-week ultrasound. We had an appointment yesterday with the lovely Dottoressa Pezzini, but the little babe - who was moving well and healthy etc (yay) - wouldn't show his/her stuff. SO! Fingers crossed (but not legs for you little one) that on Tuesday we'll find out whether Hendrik will have a baby brother or sister come August.

And updates? Let's see... I don't think I've got too much going on with me, other than your regular mom + household stuff. I had an afternoon about town toute seule yesterday which was great, except that I was tired tired - I think it's the cold plus the pregnancy thing plus just regular tired from interrupted sleeps, but it was nice to cruise around downtown and get a few errands done. And do some browsing and shopping and finally spend some of my Christmas money. I finished The Sense of an Ending and wasn't crazy about it; and even though I'm not super into crime/mystery novels, Sidetracked was goooooood.... on more than one occasion I chose book over nap, and that's saying something. Pregnancy wise I'm almost at 19 weeks which I can't believe because it means we're almost half-way there - half-WAY! Yikes. And almost all of my regular jeans can be packed away - the belly is growing. However... at this point I'm almost just as inclined to blame Nao and Erin & Fred (okay fine I blame myself) for the gluttony that's gone down in the last three weeks for the midsection size-increase. Who knows... it's likely a combination of both. When in Rome though, right?
flying high... Steve at work on Sunday - more pics here
Steve has been super busy with volleyball (I almost wrote allergies) and neither of us can believe that the season is winding down. We're likely out of here in three weeks (or less) and they potentially have 6 games between the 7th and the 22nd... busy busy. But most of them will be at home - we'll be able to catch a few games with the Osberg grandparentals, hurray. And then back to Canada! Neither of us are really looking forward to leaving this amazing place - but with Steve's ridiculous allergies and the upcoming qualifier I might turn the corner some time soon.

And Hendrik! He's been a major mommy cling-on, wanting to do everything I'm doing and, if I'm in the house, be wherever I am at all times... I'm hoping it's a stage. He's saying more words and he is loving music and singing; he was dancing to G-ma and G-pa Osberg singing Baby Beluga over skype earlier tonight which was so so cute! He's discovered that he can throw things off the balcony (I'm hoping I can nip that in the bud fast), like socks and lids to things, and throwing food isn't getting old yet. Not so fun for the clean-up crew but neither Steve nor I really know how to stop him... do we not give him any more food? Sure, we reprimand him and take away whatever's left, but then what? Ahhhh well. He likes picking dandelions and finding rocks in the driveway and throwing them down the drain, and he's interacting more with other kids at playgroup and in the park. We had lunch with Per and Emelie and Issa the other day, and it was adorable seeing the two of them running around the piazza. I'm sure there's more but for now... I think I'm all out of gas. To bed early? I hope so.
in Pergine on Monday... happy kids!

picnic on the balcony


dessert: home-made custard - thanks to Andrea from Trentino Volley... yummy!

1 comment:

Maggie B said...

Awesome to catch up on your blogs from the Ft. Lauderdale airport. We've been out of the loop. Talk som!