Saturday, May 15, 2010

we're baaaaaack....

After the longest Thursday ever, we are back in Canada. I have intentions to write a big, long Japan follow-up reflections blog, but haven't really had any non-jet-lagged brain time yet - sooooo hopefully that will happen some time soon (the blog and the non jet-lagged brain time). The trip back was good - fast - and it feels like we time warped in an insta-travel machine that leaves the past far far behind; it's as though our life and time in Tokyo was not something we left two days ago but weeks and weeks ago. Strange. It's strange, the insta-separation, but it's good to be back. We're jet-lagged, but not culture shocked, though there are lots of things that are obvious in a big-difference way: fashion (Japan yes, Canada no), cleanliness (Japan yes, Canada so-so), and big homes, yards, space and nature (Japan no, Canada yes). I've been meaning to make a top ten things I'll miss about Japan list (and a top however-many things I won't miss about Japan list), so here it is... all'improvviso...

Things I will miss about Japan:
1. The people: specifically, our friends - Nao, Marili, Hendrik... and non-specifically, the polite, courteous, friendly and quiet nature of the general populace.
2. The food: the bakeries, the find-anything-anywhere, the convenience store food, the restaurants, the basement of joy, the fruit stand, gyoza, fish cookies, sushi, Salvatore pizza, lunch deals...
3. The convenience of public transportation (trains)... and our bicycles
4. Fashion and style - in Japan, people have these things; there are no sweatpants or oversized hoodies, and women wear heels and skirts and/or creative outfit combos...
5. Nakameguro: I will miss our quiet neighborhood and our apartment. We had so many great memories and meals and get-togethers there...
6. Getting together with my running group: for the first time I ran with a group! It was so fun running with a great group of women, AND I had never ran for so long (an hour)... it was fabulous.

Things I will not miss about Japan:
1. Smoky restaurants
2. Squatter toilets
3. The shrill and sometimes constant "Irashaimaseeeeeeeeeeeei" calls of shopkeepers and store workers, especially when NOT in the mood...

Okay so I didn't make it to ten (that's all I could think of for now), but there you go. I didn't really ask Steve what he will and will not miss, but I'm sure the hour-long commutes and marathon training sessions will go on list #2 - though he may really miss his super fan WHO, by the way, was at the airport to say goodbye to him on Thursday afternoon. Not really that surprising considering her extreme-o superfan status BUT... the airport is a solid hour and a half outside of central Tokyo, and she lives on the other side of the city. This, my friends, is one dedicated fan.

So, Vancouver. It is great to be back and see my family and my friends, and the weather has been amazing. The space and the ocean and mountains with trees - these things are also great, and I know that even though I will miss living in Tokyo, Canada is my home... and as everyone knows, there's no place like it.

Sneaky sneaky Nao had this dessert plate prepared for us at our last dinner at Colosseo, an Italian place in our neighborhood - so sweet. Don't worry missy, we'll be back!!

We'll miss you guys!

No comments: