Saturday, May 22, 2010

soon, on the move again

The jet-lag is on its way out and (sigh) so are we. I have no pictures to show for our week in Vancouver, but it has been great. Are we sad to leave? Yes and no. There's never really enough time for catching up when you're visiting, especially with just one or two nights to visit with everyone - most of my friends and (half of my) family live here. Of course we'll be back, we just don't know when. There have been dinners and picnic lunches, brunches and walks, beers and pub drinks, seawall runs and rec center swims, coffee shop visits, easy afternoons and cupboard cleanouts and more and more. It has been a busy week, but a relaxing one as well - I don't feel like we've been all over the place trying to fit it all in.

The cupboard cleanouts: I have been all over the house trying to round up my scattered, stored things and evaluate. My mom has been asking me to go through my stuff (and has been doing so for years, eep) - a bag of sweaters, a trunk of clothes, an overflowing shelf of books and papers - and make some decisions: keep it or PITCH it (be ruthless! I hear her say). And so, finally, I did. I tried on old jeans and too-small, too-short sweaters that prompted comments from Claire "was that just the style? short small things?" and Steve "you've had those forever... you wore those when I met you" and some short ones from me "ugh... ew." Getting rid of clothes was a breeze, and surprisingly enough, it wasn't too difficult weeding out the books that I didn't want to keep. It was fun going through papers and photos - I filled a few recycling bags, but also found some gems, never to be thrown out. I didn't read all of the keepers, but there are quite a few letters that I received when I was little that I've saved. My two favourites are these. When I was seven, I wrote a letter to Mr Christie with a suggestion for a new cookie (Turtle Cookies), and even though he didn't write me back (I thought I was writing a real person) I did get a response. I still have the letter; it's dated April 17, 1986, and the two coupons for free cookies that were included are long gone. I remember going down to Stong's and cashing them in for Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip cookies. So, that's the one. The other is a letter from my Grandpa, dated April 27/82, written on a typewriter:

Dear Heather

Grandma and I enjoyed your letter sent to us last week. We hope that there will be more letters when your writing improves. Paul saw your letter and he made the remarks that it had rain stains on it as it came from Vancouver.

Here the weather is bright and clear. But it is still too cold for comfort. The furnace is still going strong. The snow is now all gone however.. Aunt Ena is here and will be staying with us for a few days. Grandma was at the Granite yesterday and won a beautiful plant at a luncheon. Our Easter Lily has just completed its show in the living room.

It was good to talk with you and your Mother on the phone on Sunday last at Jane's house. You are like your Mother, very good on the phone. Write to us again soon. Give Sarah, your Dad and Mom our very best Wishes.

Grampa Gar.

I was four, and my parents were in their early 30s. Do people write letters anymore? If not, do people keep emails from early times? I have a few folders in my inbox with some oldies... but somehow, it's not the same.

Anyways, so it has been great being here, but I'm looking forward to unpacking my bags. For the last week I've been living out of one bag - the other is bursting at the seams and packed full, and I have no motivation to dig for things that I think lay somewhere under the surface of shoes and miscellany. With the last day on the horizon, though, I shouldn't be thinking about unpacking - I should be getting myself together and out the door. It's not raining, but it is bright and clear... perfect for a last day in Vancouver.

No comments: