Tuesday, April 20, 2010

visitors - quiet - visitor, and the oh so amazing basement of joy

Did I post this pic already? Love this!!

It will be another photo-centred blog tonight. Days have been a bit long with balancing work and time at home with Steve sans visitors, and being on the computer isn't a top priority. I still haven't written much about my now not-as-new job, but I will! I swear. I feel like we're in that in between time that comes around at the end of the year: we're leaving soon (likely), but still firmly rooted with jobs and commitments and friends and an apartment that has been home for the past seven months. It's not really limbo, just that breath or pause or whatever it is before the big move (once again). Plus, I suppose, it could be the visitors. It has been so awesome having so many people visit us, and the focus really has been on the people for us - not the sightseeing. Well - I have to say too, that a highlight of having everyone here is seeing how they experience and react to this mega-metropolis, and all of the throngs of people that live here. But it has been busy, so this week - with some down time - has and will be nice.

So the last visitors have left and a new visitor is on the horizon. My parents had an amazing time here, with highlights being the Tsukiji fish market, our hike up Mount Takao, the temples, and of course, the Basement of Joy. Aptly named by Dan, this is as close to foodie paradise as you'll ever realistically get. Sure, you could go to Sweets Paradise for 90 minutes or to one of the many top-notch hotel buffets (or low-notch grubberies) for something that might - might - be comparable... but really, I don't think it would be. (I may just have to double check on that - will get back to you.) My dad was in fish and sushi heaven in there, and I could barely get my foot in the door before the was magnet-sucked to the nearest seafood booth, with tastebuds and tummy controlling all motor functions. We had a few seriously amazing picnics, with assortments of salads, sushi, baked goods, quiches, fried this and fried that... and more more more. There are many a basement food hall ("depachika" in Japanese) in the city, and as far as finding the best one - well, I am more than satisfied with what is closest to home: the original basement of joy, the Tokyu Food Show. Yum yum yum.

And so, on the horizon is one of my best friends from high school, Anna Marandi - she arrives on Friday afternoon, so there is a bit of down time / recovery time (mostly from the Food Show eating blitz) between visitors. And so - because there is much more to do around here than sit on the computer - I bid you adieu for tonight. I leave you with some funny photos and ads that have accumulated in iPhoto. More again soon...

Burger head!

There are all sorts of these courtesy ads in and on the subways and trains - "Please do it at home" - I've never seen anyone sit quite so slovenly on a train, but I have seen women primping and preening - ick.

Captain Santa? Sure!!

yeeeeeeeeeeee! these look like very happy sheepies!

From day one we wondered what the deal was with this dog - was he wanted? The wanted dog poster! It's an ad for an investigator - private investigator or something... interessant.

There's nothing strange about this - I just like it, and don't think I've posted it yet.




This one was funny too - confused about your errr sex? Or shouldering your worries? Nao told me what this was all about, but I forget.

Split that piggy open and get at it! (ew.)

No comments: