Monday, October 19, 2009

excited for art (and more...)

I know that I shouldn't be all that surprised that we can find everything and anything here - but I am! And I'm delighted. There are English books (and magazines!) at the library just down the block, and on inter-library loan items can be requested and delivered, just like at home! Other things I usually miss when we're far-across-the-big-water but have found (or are available or plentiful) here are non-crusty socks (we have a drying ROOM), sushi, and amazing food of every sort. Other goods such as salt and vinegar chips and barbeque sauce (Steve usually misses these things more than I do), are also here. AND, there was no need to bring over Canadian Club as gifts for F.C. Tokyo management; yesterday, we found Canadian Club for $10 less than what we pay for it at home - sheesh. So far this may be the only thing we've found that is cheaper - and by a good amount - than in the great white north.

Some of my plans for the week include (Steve's plan: keep training like a ninja): two job interviews, Run For the Cure meeting and subsequent volunteer duties, Design Festa, and meeting a friend from high school. Design Festa sounds like one of the coolest things ever - it's Asia's biggest art event and has almost everything under the sun that might fall in the art category: music, fashion shows, interactive booths and exhibits, workshops, food and more. With over 8,500 artists and who knows how many booths, it seems soooo super cool. Steve trains on Saturday, so I'm planning on making my way down to the Tokyo Big Sight to check it out myself - stay posted for pics and reactions from that. Ummm, next: a girl that I went to high school with - that I walked to Hillside and WVSS with - moved back to Japan with her family some time ago, and lives just outside the city and so... we are going to hook up on Sunday! We played volleyball together and I have lots of funny memories with her, so I'm really looking forward to seeing her - Akiko Nomizawa! So cool. Facebook is good for something. (Though it is also bad for something(s) - productivity, privacy... and probably lots more.) I leave you with some things that I like, found online.



Recycled toy sculpture - Robert Bradford, as found on one of my check-once-a-week websites, The Cool Hunter

No comments: